AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Electrician
Experience:  38 years electrical experience in residential, commercial, industrial. Installation of swimming pools, spa tubs, hot tubs too.
53189252

My pool fiber optic system when turned on does not light up

Customer Question

My pool fiber optic system when turned on does not light up for a while then turns on and off. Is that the capacitor?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.
What is the make and model of the fiber optic system so the specifications can be obtained to better assist?
Let me know and we can continue,
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pentair PG2000
Ok, thanks.
1. Check the vents for any obstructions. There must be adequate air flow or the main lamp will overheat and begin to cycle on and off.
The cycle of on and off protects the end of the fiber optic cables from damage and is normal when this happens.
Be sure also that the fan is running well and providing adequate air around the lamp and housing.
2. It could be lamp nearing its life expectancy, or the 3. capacitor, but usually a cooling problem.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All vents are open. When unit is switched on nothing happens for a couple of hours. The fan doesn't run, nothing runs. Then all of the sudden everything works. When it warms up it will kick out.
Ok, that is definitely an odd sequence.
A voltage tester to insure that power is definitely at the unit will be needed.
Fan should start to begin cooling for the bulb, so there may be a wire issue getting power.
Whether it is on a timer or a switch, measure the voltage to be sure it is getting to the unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, I found the short in the wiring. Now it turns on immediately but shuts down after a while. Fan runs good and seems to have good ventilation but cycles on and off.
Ok,
Sounds like the fan is bad and needs replacing based on the sequence.
The fan runs to keep the lamp cool, so if the fan shuts off the lamp will overheat and shut itself off.
The fan should not cycle, so it is overheating due to failure or possibly a thermostat inside the motor assembly that is cycling it on and off.