1PoolDoctor
1PoolDoctor, Owner
Experience:  Past President & Regional IPSSA Officer. Over 20 yrs of Swimming Pool/Spa experience in Service, Repairs and Construction.
76328443

I have a Hayward model H250ED2 pool heater,The heater

Customer Question

Hi ,
I have a Hayward model H250ED2 pool heater,
The heater will lite but will only stay on for about 3 seconds and the shuts off
Is there a sensor that needs to be replaced?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Does your model have electronic ignition or is the pilot lit all the time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Electronic ignition.... replaced igniter last year.

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
What are you getting for an error message?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No error message.... Just starts and then shuts off after 3 secs.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no error message

Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
I don't have an answer for you from here. This will require an onsite visit which I can't help you with. Maybe one of my colleagues has an idea. I'm going to open this backup to my colleagues so one of them can help. Please don't respond (even to acknowledge this post)until you get a response from us. If you respond first it will only delay your answer.
Expert:  1PoolDoctor replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I am here to help you with your question.
1. When you say your heater stays on for about 3 seconds, what exactly is it doing? IE. is the fan coming on, do you feel heat come out of exhaust, do you hear the burners ignite?
2. When your heater shuts off, does it try to come back on by itself?
We can continue to communicate here until you are satisfied I have answered your question.
Thanks, Bill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The heater ignites the burners, There isn't a fan because it is an older heater. So it ignites stays on for about 3 seconds and then goes off. Then it starts the process all over again. I will double check for error codes on my lunch hour but I did not see any the first time I started it.

Here are some additional things to check.
3. Filter pressure. Is the filter needing a cleaning?
Water flow may be reduced and heater pressure switch may keep shutting heater down.
4. Gas pressure. Was any gas work done on your property or in the area since you last used heater? Including any new home/business construction. If gas pressure is low, heater will cycle on and off.
5. Let me know of any specific codes your getting when it shuts down.
Thanks, Bill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

After it ignites and shuts off 3 times, Im getting an "IF" code on the screen. Pressure is good , I adjusted pressure switch down to see if that was it... still the same thing. No gas work done ... sounds like the gas pressure is good because I can hear it just before it ignites.

6. If the igniter and wiring are good and the burners are not blocked by any debris, then the gas pressure needs to be checked with a manometer to verify heater has the minimum amount of gas pressure required by the heater. Gas pressures can change over time and this could be what is causing your issue.
The code you are getting is stating that the heater is not recognizing that the heater burners are lighting (possible blockage on burners or from small gas orifice that feeds gas to burners) or they are not staying lit (due to low gas pressure or low gas volume being fed to heater).
7. Make sure Burners are clean and have no debris on them (rust, soot, animal nests, etc.)
Take a paperclip and with the heater off, push one side of clip into each gas orifice coming off the gas pipe from the gas valve. The burner that the igniter is closest to would most likely be the one with the blockage.
8. Verify that the igniter was properly installed in the correct position next to the burner or that it was not moved out of the position that it should be in.
Let me know, Bill
I see you last reviewed my Answer yesterday morning.
Please let me know if there is anything else I can do.
I want to make sure I have answered your question well enough that you give me a great rating.
Thanks, Bill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am getting a manometer to check the gas pressure, I have completed everything else that you suggested. Cleaned all the gas outlets, burner, etc. Not much debris in the lines or burner. I also jumped pressure switch, and other sensors just to eliminate those as possibilities. So I will get back to you after I check the gas pressure.

ok..
you will want to check inlet and manifold gas pressures.
After you do, let me know what your Water Column readings are.
Thanks, Bill
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok sorry for this late reply but had trouble getting back to this site. I checked the gas pressures and it was reading 3.87in & 3.75 in .. I did get the heater to stay on for awhile but then it shut off with an "IF" error code. It took a couple of tries to get it on by switching it to standby and then to pool. After about 6 times of resetting it... it stayed on. After an hour of running it turned off with error. Then I restarted it again and it ran for 1/2 hour. same thing is happening now... it runs for a short period and then turns off.