Mike R.
Mike R., Plumber
Experience:  i have been doing plumbing work for 20 years with alot of experience in service work
64367226

Hey. I have a gulf coast Lx 7000. Breaker keeps tripping when

Customer Question

Hey. I have a gulf coast Lx 7000. Breaker keeps tripping when I turn breaker on. I am just starting the spa up for the season. When I unplug the heater it works fine. Plug the heater back in and it trips. I changed the heater 2 years ago. Could it be a grounding problem?
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Attached is picture
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Mike and I have 20+ years of experience in the plumbing field. I'll be glad to assist you today. Do you have a multimeter to test the continuity on the heater element? Did it work for a short time when you first started it up?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have a multi meter. It worked fine last year. The breaker tripped as soon as I started it up. When I unplugged the heater everything else worked. If I put the plug for the heater in then it trips
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
Was the spa empty and this happened after filling?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It worked great last year. I emptied the spa in the fall. I'm just starting it up now
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
Likely what has happened is there was an air lock in the heater and it caused a dry fire and fried the element in the heater. Unplugging the heater and having the breaker not trip certainly reinforces the likelihood this has happened. Since you do not have a multimeter you could turn the power off and remove the element and inspect it. It would be quite apparent if it is broken.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I just get an element or do I have to replace the entire unit. 2 years ago I replaced the entire unit. I'm not sure if I can replace the element. There was water running through the heater because I filled the spa through the filter hole. I can get a multi meter tomorrow. What am I testing?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
Sure you can just replace the element. It may just be that the element is touching the side of the housing. You would be testing the continuity of the element. It is very likely that the element is touching the housing of the heater. It may have still shorted the element in this case but still would be the most likely cause issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled the unit out. The element is inside a metal tube. The element is not touching the metal tube. It doesn't seem that just the element can be replaced. I would just check the continuity of the element? If there is no continuity then I need to replace? What if there is continuity?
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
If there is not continuity then replace the element. If there is continuity then the control board may be the issue. It is almost certainly the element though.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
FYI. I took the heater out. Flushed it with the hose and mild detergent. Put it back in. Kept it unplugged and ran the spa for an hour. I then plugged it in and it is working. Keeping my fingers crossed
Expert:  Mike R. replied 1 year ago.
Hey great! The element does not have a lot of room in the housing. Maybe somehow that movement got it to not be touching the housing anymore....no point questioning what works though!