TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot Tub Repairman
Experience:  15 yrs. experience repairing all brands of hot tubs.
64889713

I have a Tiger River Bengal MA171075 with an IQ2000 board and

Customer Question

I have a Tiger River Bengal MA171075 with an IQ2000 board and I'm guessing a Watkins No Fault 6000 (doesn't actually say the model on it anywhere) labeled as 240v6kW. The HTR ON light is not lit and the heat does not work. Need some troubleshooting steps. Thanks.
Category: Pool and Spa
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Iq2000
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
hello,
first thing is to check flow/pressure switch to make sure it is closing with water flow...if the switch does not make contact then no heat..
use reply
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any idea where this switch is on an IQ2000 and how do I check it?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The switch will be remote on a water line where the it senses water flow through the pipe. It will be attached to the board by 2 wires
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you take a look at the IQ2000 Image I posted and tell me where it is?
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
First do you see the flow light at top of board?
When you run unit is flow light lit?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Flow and Lim OK are on. The other 2 in the middle are off.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
please copy and paste the link below and look at page 24 on...check the reset on the heater...
Link - http://www.hotspring.no/pdfs/i7.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I actually can't find any reset button on the heater.
Expert:  TheHotTubGuy replied 1 year ago.
Hello.
My name is ***** ***** allow me a moment to review your question thoroughly.I'll do my best to answer your question and resolve your issue.
You have a '99 model and there is no flow or pressure switch on yours.
If your heater ON led is not lit on the board:
You have a bad temp sensor
or
You have a bad IQ board. If your green ready light is not lit on the display, AND the heater ON led IS NOT lit, you have a bad IQ circuit board.
Standing by,
Todd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
LIM OK is lit
FLOW is lit
HTR ON is NOT lit
Good morning,
Your board should have 3 leds
LIM OK
HEATER ON
CONTROL UNPLUGGED
The control panel should have a red power light and a green ready light. The red power light must be solid and not blinking.
The green ready light will only be on if the SET temp is reached. IE
you have the temp set to 100F and the tub is 100F+
If the green ready light is NOT on at the control panel, the tub should be heating and that would mean the HEATER ON led on the board should be ON
If this is the case you have a bad circuit board OR
you may have a SUMMER TIMER switch on the side of the IQ control box. I cannot recall if '09 models still used it, but it would be directly above where the 2 temp sensors plug into the side of the IQ control box. If that has been moved it will disable the heat and the circ pump for long periods.
The last senario is less likely, but please check. There is usually a piece of red tape covering it.
So...
If you scroll the temp up to 104F and the ready light is NOT green, AND the circ pump is flowing AND the HEATER ON led on the board is NOT ON... you have a bad circuit board.
Ill check back as soon as I can today if you have any further questions.
Todd
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
These are the LEDs.HTR ON is NOT lit
Control Unpluged is NOT litI do not see a red power and green ready LED.Summer Timer is OFF
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing is blinking.LIM OK and FLOW LEDs are both ONThere are no LEDs labeled as Ready or Power.Attaching image with model and serial numbers. Could be be something related to 110 vs 220v power?
Good morning,
It appears you have a '97 model, not a '99 model and there is a big difference in the control panels.
'97 was a transition yr from old Tiger River controls to the newer IQ controls and for that yr only used an old style topside before changing to topsides with ready and power lights. There was originally a flow switch that was usually removed with any warranty call involving the heater in the first couple of years. It was removed and replaced with a jumper at the plug next to the thermistor (senors) plugs on the side of the IQ box. Either a red or blue jumper wire was used with a factory plug, this jumper may or may not be on your tub, almost all were switched over...I personally did hundreds while at Hot Springs.
So...
Does your tub have this jumper next to the sensor plug ins on the IQ?
If so unplug and plug it in...does the flow LED on the board go out and back on? If so, lets move on.
Since the heater ON LED in NOT on, that means the board is not turning the heater on for some reason.
This could be a bad thermistor, bad IQ board, or in the '97 model it could be a bad PWA panel #71345 or Electronic tstat board #71340.
The 2 parts above are under the topside control.
Here is a good source and description of the parts:
http://www.backyardplus.com/proddetail.php?prod=71345
http://www.backyardplus.com/proddetail.php?prod=71340
If 1 of these boards is bad you will not heat. Looking at them closely usually shows signs if they are bad or not. The topside is tricky to remove. There are 4 tabs that hold it in from underneath. A phillips screwdriver with a very long reach is most helpful in unlocking the tabs so the topside can be easily pulled up and out of the shell for inspection.
The tstat board is still available, the PWA board is not.
So you likely have a bad tstat board, PWA board or possibly a bad thermistor. Bad thermistors usually just get wacky and don't keep the correct temp. Visually inspect the boards under the topside control...thats where you should start.
It costs nothing to look at them, and if bad usually something will look bad on the board to indicate that.
Standing by,
Todd
Any update?
Standing by,
Todd