Rick
Rick, General Contractor
Experience:  Licensed construction supervisor with 35+ yrs. experience.
94766

I have a Natural Gas Purex Triton Minimax 250. When I turn

Customer Question

I have a Natural Gas Purex Triton Minimax 250. When I turn it on I hear the "clicking" of the spark and smell gas however, the only way the pilot ever lights is when I remove the door and actually fan the unit with the door. Then it lights, stays lit, and works great. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
Most likely a dirty pilot burner. The pilot burner assembly will need to be removed and cleaned including the pilot burner orifice.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Great! How do I go about doing that?
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.
You disconnect the pilot burner tubing and wiring then remove the burner that has the pilot assembly attached. Once you have it out clean off the burner (blow off or brush out any debris). Remove the tubing from the assembly and the small thimble shaped orifice will either come out on the end of the tubing or stay inside the burner. If it stays inside you either need to push it out or you can run a very fine wire through the tiny hole (~.010") in the orifice with it in place. You need to do this even if you can see daylight through the hole. Then reassemble everything. It wouldn't hurt to clean the oxidation off the electrode in the pilot assembly with fine steel wool or fine aluminum oxide sand paper. Be careful not to move it out of position