AssuredElectrical
AssuredElectrical, Electrician
Experience:  38 years electrical experience in residential, commercial, industrial. Installation of swimming pools, spa tubs, hot tubs too.
53189252

Older outdoor spa (I think I bought at Home Depot) has a ground

Customer Question

Older outdoor spa (I think I bought at Home Depot) has a ground which has rotted. There are two grounds attached to the ground lugs on the Gecko Spa Metapack series. One is from the AQUA-FLO Flow Master XP 2, and the other ground is just dangling with a bolt attached. The breaker flips as soon as I turn on the spa so assume where ever this ground should be attached is causing the problem. Curious to where this ground should attach as I can not find where it has rotted and dropped.
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  AssuredElectrical replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. My name is ***** ***** would be glad to assist.Can you get a picture of the area and the grounds you are referencing for review?Post directly here using the paper clip symbol on the tool barThanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please see attached pics. End with bolt/clamp is the question of where it should be attached.
Thanks for the pictures.So, the 2 wires in the split bolt, where do they go, what are they attached to on the other end?That will dictate the connections.Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As mentioned in the first message.One is from the AQUA-FLO Flow Master XP 2, and the other ground is just dangling with a bolt attached. I have no idea where the dangling one connects.
Ok, thanks.Every ground should connect to the one long bar where that bar ground is connected.These are your BONDING wires, which is required for safety on the equipment on the spaThe corrosion I see, the long bar should be replaced, it is deteriorated way too far for even cleaning.They sell them at any Home Depot or Lowes type stores, they are grounding bars and come in a small package for a few dollars.The split bolt holding the wires is not needed should be removed completely.Replace the bar, clean all the wires up cutting the ends off and re-stripping them for shiny copper and then attaching them to the bar.There should be one going to the motors and to the controller. When they are new, they have small copper lugs attached to all metal components for the other end of the wires.You will have the one main bare wire, then one to each motor, then one to the controller.Pumps are usually plastic, so it isnt necessary. Let me know anything further,Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have left the house and not back for a couple weeks. I think there is only one motor which is the Flowmaster XP2 and that ground is connected. So the unattached ground with the copper bolt attached much go to the controller. I will let you know if solved when back at home. Thanks for your help and I hope it may be as simple as some cleaning and replacing a couple parts.
Ok, that is fine.While that will take care of the bonding issue, it may not have anything to do with the GFCI tripping, that can be be something different all together.In order to start with it, you would need to first disconnect the power at the Spa end and leave it connected at the breaker end.Then try the breaker.If it doesn't trip, will have to begin an internal inspection of the components, may need a picture of the schematic on the controller cover for this situation. If it trips, then you have to disconnect the spa from the breaker end and try once more.if it doesn't trip, the wires from the breaker to the spa need replacing.If id still trips , the breaker needs replacing.