We installed a Jandy 1400 Aqualink in July of 2009. We have since replaced the front board twice. Last summer the cell started throwing 120/21 codes and scaling up regularly requiring cleaning almost daily. This year the unit is producing no chlorine and again showing 120/21 codes. The cell is clean, the pool chemistry is fine with the exception of chlorine. At this point we feel that we wasted $900 plus installation on this unit and are preparing to back to pucks. Any ideas on what could be going wrong and how to address it? Jandy/Zodiac customer service is a joke.
Cleaned the cell numerous times, replaced the front board twice.
A 120/121 code means the unit is not getting the proper flow of current needed. If your cell is clean and the the cord is properly connected then the cell or cell cord may need to be replaced. Check the cell cord plug for corrosion that could hamper the contacts. Most cells last 3-5 years (seasons) if used with proper water balance and at proper levels. A cell kit can be purchased which comes with the cell, flow sensor, unions and 16' DC cord. The replacement cell is a 3-port cell, so if yours is currently a 2-port cell, some re-plumbing will be required to accommodate the slightly longer replacement cell. You may want to try replacing the cell cord first although most new cells now come with the cord.
Did some test this afternoon, here is what I found. When I tested the power cord at the cell, under full load, I get 28-30 and have a very hot plug. On the back board when I test the power cord connections I get nothing. When I test the 1-8 test ports on the BB I get zilch should be reading 75. On the front board the A-C test you should get 21 and I get nothing. Any of this ring a bell or give you any thoughts?
It sounds like either the unit is not wired correctly or there is a bad cord. With the age of the unit you will be replacing a cord and a cell within a year so I would get a new cord and try it as well as checking all the wiring to the unit to be sure it is done properly. When your unit started scaling up quickly it sounds like the polarity had quit within the unit so I think the electrical problems have been there since last year. Also, going through 2 boards, cord heating up now, is too many things happening pointing to wiring. Did you do any rewiring of the unit or pump to unit etc?
No. Since it was installed there has been nothing done to the wiring. I was wondering about the condition of the back board. It seems like everything runs through that. Since I am getting basically nothing from the test points on it I am thinking there in lies the problem. The one that really threw me was the no reading at the power end of the cord at the BB and 28-30 on the cell end. That just seems bizarre to me.
40+ yrs, NSPF Instructor, NC Licensed SwimPool Contractor
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic. Your Professional has opted out and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find another Professional to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
It would be nice to see if there is someone out there that has a good working knowledge of the Jandy 1400 units and can tell me what those numbers show the problem to be. We paid a lot of money for this unit and have definitely not got our money's worth out of it yet. The Jandy CS people are pretty much worthless.