I have a 2 1/2 year old 12 x 30 inground pool. We just replaced the filter pump. We hooked up the new pump, powered it up, it clicked a few times, primed and then ran for about 15 minutes. When we noticed it stopped running, we checked it and it was red hot. What could be wrong?
turning it off and back on
Welcome, how can I help you today? You could have not enough water flow through the pump. Make sure any valves that supply water to pump are all open. Check the voltage at the pump, if you have a 115 volt pump but are sending 220 volts to it then the pump will overheat and stop. Make sure that the pump is not clogged with debris as this can bind up the impeller and cause the pump to overheat as well. Lastly it could just be that this pump is bad and you will need to get another one it does happen from time to time. With in ground pumps they are usually pre-wired for 220 volts if you only have 110volts for power then the pump is only running at half speed and will heat up. Open the back cover of the pump to expose the wires and check to see how it is wired there should be a wiring diagram on the label of the motor.