TheHotTubGuy
TheHotTubGuy, Hot Tub Repairman
Experience:  15 yrs. experience repairing all brands of hot tubs.
64889713

I have a Vita Spa l760C-l780C that continually blows the breaker

Customer Question

I have a Vita Spa l760C-l780C that continually blows the breaker - any suggestions to determine the problem?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  TheHotTubGuy replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX allow me a moment to review your question thoroughly.

What year is your Vita?

Does it trip the breaker immediately, or after the pump has come on?

Is the hot tub wired and filled now?

Standing by.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I aplogize for the delay in getting back to you. I bought the spa in 2005 from the Vita Spa Factory Oulet. It is a Joli L780CA 8.0 220V. It trips the breaker immediately and there are 2 green lights that flash when you turn the breaker on. The hot tub is not filled right now.
Okay, thank you for that information.

I will check some things and get back to you soon.

Thank you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The 2 green lights are on the circuit board - at the top. I can look to see what they are called if you need me to.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX is not necessary.

Without the hot tub full of water, it is very difficult to do any troubleshooting with regards XXXXX XXXXX gfci tripping. Do not turn on power to the tub if not filled.

You have removed the wires from the tub and it stays on, so....we need to focus on what piece of equipment is causing the breaker to trip.

Please try this:
  1. Leave the power off
  2. Fill the hot tub to the proper level. Put the hose into the filter bucket when filling.
  3. Remove both power leads to the heater. There will be 2 wires or copper strips connecting the circuit board to the heater. Carefully remove both, do not twist the heater terminals removing them.
  4. Unplug all the pumps, blower, lights, and ozone (if you have one) from the control box.
  5. Now, turn the power on

Now, does it trip off?

If not, shut the power off and plug in the pump that connects to the heater plumbing.

Turn the power on. If it trips, bad motor. If it stays on, repeat this procedure for each component except the heater, turning the power off in between each item you plug in.

If the tub is running, turn the power off and reconnect the heater wires. Turn the power back on.

If it trips the breaker, bad heater.

Please respond when you have tried this. It is the fastest method to diagnosis a gfci tripping.

Standing by.

I noticed you have not accepted my answer or responded. I am available to help you until the issue is resolved.

Please update me so we can continue troubleshooting if necessary. Please do not buy or replace any expensive parts until we troubleshoot further.

Standing by.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks - I will work on it this week and report back
Okay.

Have a nice day.
Good morning,

Any update? I am hear to continue troubleshooting if necessary.

Standing by.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK the Purple plug coming from a small motor floating freely behind the circuit board is the culprit. the purple plug reciever has a white wire attached to the circuit board at "blower common" and a black lead attached to a black square monted on the baord at "blower"
I'm currently out of town for mother's day I'll be back later this evening.
Thank you for your patience. I didn't have any wifi to answer you.

Be in touch soon.
Okay, thank you for the update.

So, does the breaker stay on when you have the blower(air bubbler) unplugged? Is the correct?

If you have everything else connected, the tub should be running and
heating. Only the blower not working because it is disconnected...Is
this correct?

Standing by.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is correct

Okay, that answers that question.

Now, lets talk about the blower and what options you have.

Blowers trip the gfci usually because water got into the blower. This is not uncommon if the tub was overflowed filling it or if you had a lot of people in it just prior the gfci tripping.. If the blower was not especially noisy lately, that may be the case.

If that happened, give it a week and plug it back in. If it still trips, replace the blower.

If water is not the cause, then nesting critters sometimes make their home in them if unused for a while. If that is the case, replace the blower.

Sometimes they go bad. Replace the blower.

I know you see a pattern...replace the blower. That is most likely the solution, however, I would leave it unplugged for a week and try it again. If it still trips..you guessed it...replace the blower.

The cause was found, and with a little luck the blower may work again.

If you would like some links to sources, let me know if you are going to replace it. I will be happy to follow up with you and do that.

Have I answered your question thoroughly?

Thank you and have a great day!

TheHotTubGuy, Hot Tub Repairman
Experience: 15 yrs. experience repairing all brands of hot tubs.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank-you! Appreciate your help. Some links to purchase blower would be helpful.
I will be happy to.

Can you send a pic of the business end of the blower cord? AKA..The purple plug.

Also, can you send a pic of the blower itself, try to get the label in the pic and the where it attaches to the pipe. I want to make sure you will have the correct blower, and any fittings you may need to make the swap go easy peasy.

Sorry to bother you, but Vita uses proprietary and other systems, not sure what yours is using. Each has certain plugs and voltages could be 120v or 240v. If you cannot get the label easily in the picture, just relay what voltage is on the label of the blower.

If you cannot get pics, I will make my best guess on what you need. But really at this point, you might as well just remove the blower. If is wet, it will dry out faster, and if is just bad, easy picture.

Standing by.