poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

our jacuzzi hot tub model j-365 is flashing a fl-1 code and

Customer Question

our jacuzzi hot tub model j-365 is flashing a fl-1 code and temp has lowered to 60. Manual is very vague on fixing problem. We would appreciate any help. Thanks
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 2 years ago.

poolguy810 :

Hello, how can I help you today? if you shut the breaker down for ten minutes and then restart the system, does the pump run that normally is running when it's heating, or does it go straight to fhe error code?

Customer :

Hi there....hubby just went out to shut the breaker off...we will wait 10 minutes.....please wait...Thanks

poolguy810 :

ok, just let me know, we need to see if the pump is actually moving water as that's when the fl code shows up if the pressure switch doesn't sense enough water flowing through the heater.

Customer :

Thanks......getting ready to turn the breaker back on......

Customer :

turned on and fl-1 code still flashing,nothing circulating.

poolguy810 :

ok, i can talk you through as much troubleshooting as you feel comfortable with. The next step at this point is removing the side access panel on the spa so we can see if your circulation pump is gettng power to it. On that jacuzzi model, I believe the used a small circ pump to pump water through the heater, it will usually be located right behind the spa pack attached to the heater with a small three quarter inch line. If you can locate it and put your hand on any pumps you see down there to see if they are warm or hot to the touch or making any sound at all.

Customer :

has started to circulate but, still flashing fl-1.....

Customer :

thanks.....going out to follow your instructions....brb

poolguy810 :

ok, try shutting the breaker off, remove your filter, then turn it back on and see if it reacts any differently

Customer :

should we do the breaker first ??...and there are 2 filters...shgould remove them both ??

poolguy810 :

just to clarify, i want you to leave the filter out when you turn it back on

poolguy810 :

yes, take both filters out, then try running the spa with no filters in it. sometimes just a slightly dirty filter can trigger the flow switch

Customer :

ok...doing that now..

Customer :

waiting for cycle to start

Customer :

cycle has started...still flashing ??

poolguy810 :

and is the water moving at all when the pump starts up?

Customer :

yes......like the jets are on..

poolguy810 :

also, if there's any way you could snap me a picture of the inside of the equipment area and post it to me using the paperclip icon, i might be able to guide you a little better

Customer :

sorry, I don't know how to do that ?? not very good at this computer stuff

poolguy810 :

oh ok, well, the jets will normally start up during the initial startup, but if you have a small circ pump, it is what we need to look for once the jets stop running, we're looking for that really slow flow that you normally have when it's just heating

Customer :

hubby just took off the panel & said the small pump behind controller is hot to the touch

poolguy810 :

that's okay, we'll just go by visual description.

Customer :

has just gone to one jet like the sound when it heats...

poolguy810 :

ok, now have him follow the heater tube up to the right there should be a clear piece of plastic with a little switch in it with a grey wire leading out of it, once he locates it, there should be a little arm hanging down, when the pump is running that little arm should move over to the center position, if it's still out to the left hand side, then there's no water moving through the heater.

poolguy810 :

was anything done to the spa before this started, like draining and refilling, or anything like that?

Customer :

no, I just did the chemicals a couple days ago & was running just fine...

Customer :

ok....he just found the little arm hanging down & it is on the left hand side

Customer :

are you still here..

Customer :

we have determined the heat pump has stopped working & will need to purchase a new one tomorrow.......we appreciate your time & need to pay you...if you feel the $38 is fair, I will hit the accept button.....

Customer :

am still wondering what would have caused the problem??

poolguy810 :

sorry, was traveling and answering on my phone and it died, just got back home. yes, that's what I was working towards in seeing it the pump was hot and the arm not centered, once you get to that point, it's definitely a bad circ pump.

poolguy810 :

The circ pumps usually get really hot when they go bad as well. Not sure how old your spa is, but general life of a pump is usually 4-5 years or so. Normally there's nothing in particular that causes them to go out, they just wear down and quit running. Sometimes if they've just locked up, you can rap them with a hammer and they'll start back up for a while, but that's always just a temporary fix, they'll always stop again within a few days after that

poolguy810 :

happy to help out if he needs any help locating one, a lot of the older circ pumps have been discontinued over the past two years and changed to different models. If you need anything else, just let me know, or if you're happy with my help, you can just click the Accept button to close out the question, thanks, Jeff