poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.

Bought a used 2004 cal spa 6 person spa, model #04-CP-22 ser#04S-000568,

Bought a used 2004 cal spa 6 person spa, model #04-CP-22 ser#04S-000568, with a single 5 hp motor. If you just leave it on, it heats fine. If you turn the jets to high speed, the motor shuts down after a few minutes, then will restart after about 10 minutes and shut down again after afew minutes. Had a cal spa tech out and he said it was the circuit board. Installed a new one and same problem. No error codes being displayed (ever). Ozonator seems to also need a cartridge and have ordered one but not recieved it yet. Any solutions?
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 5 years ago.

poolguy810 : Hello, how can I help you today? Of your board is new, then its not the high speed relay on the board, the only other possibility at all is the windings on your pump motor are cooked and what that will cause is the thermal overload on the motor will cut power to the motor until it cools down, then it will restart and run until it overheats again

So you think a new motor is the splution? Any other test to verify that is the issue? Do you think I can take the motor to a motor shop and have it bench tested or rewound? Thanks

poolguy810 : Yes, that would be the best bet, it will cost more than a new motor to rewind that one, but you you can at least get it verified. They'll have to load test it to get it to duplicate, but I'm sure that's what's going on with it.