PitschPlumbing, master plumber
Experience:  Factory Authorized service for Rheem, Raypak, Jandy and Laars pool heaters. Gas licensed

working on a sta rite pool heater and it keeps shutting off

Customer Question

working on a sta rite pool heater and it keeps shutting off with service light on. I opened it up and the thermasistor light was on, so I changed the part. Hooked eveything back up and heater cuts on for about 45 seconds, with thr heat light blinking and then stays on now for about 10 seconds, than shuts down and flashes EO1 again. The LEDS on backside are now off however. the service heater light is still on though. Have gas flow,whater flow, what is my next step? Replace ignitor or ignition control module or am I even going in the right direction? I NEED HELP!!!!!

Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  PitschPlumbing replied 5 years ago.
Is it the black pill looking heater? Are you 100% certain it has proper water flow? Try one thing. Remove the lowest bolt on the manifold, left or right and see if any water comes out. If so the exchanger is leaking. If not, these heaters have governors similar to the rheem/raypaks. On the manifold there is a large threaded plug. With the water and heater off, unscrew the plug. There is a spring and what looks like a cqr thermostat on the end. These can get stuck and cause the heater to over heat. This part can be tested with hot water. On the starites it is supposed to open at 120deg. Heat up some water, dunk it in and see if it opens. If not, that's a starting point.