poolguy810
poolguy810, owner - pool and spa service company
Experience:  Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.
32482502

heat light will not come on my marquis spa. Temp set at 102

<p>heat light will not come on my marquis spa.  Temp set at 102 degrees. </p><p>Acull temp  63 degrees. marquis spa troubleshooting code 5N5.</p>
Category: Pool and Spa
Expert:  poolguy810 replied 3 years ago.

poolguy810 :

Hello, how can I help you today? ok, the code you're getting is actually SNS, which means you have a bad temperature sensor, or your circuit board is not detecting your sensor. If you have a meter, I can tell you how to test the sensor if you want. If you decide you want to test it, you'll need to know the actual temperature of the water first with a separate thermometer. The other option is to just replace the sensor without testing it, I can explain that process to you as well. Just let me know how you'd like to proceed and I'll help you out. Thanks!

Customer:

Jeff I have open my cover on the spa to check it out. What leads do I need to check and what do I set my multimeter up to? Dave

Customer:

Jeff What part do I check?

poolguy810 :

make sure your power is off, normally on the board all the plugs are marked on the board, you should see a small 4 wire connector, with two grey wires coming out of it, that is the sensor plug

poolguy810 :

sorry, got too many questions coming in at once, trying to toggle between them

poolguy810 :

pull the plug off of the board, you want to set the meter on ohms at least 30k or higher or just on ohms if it's autoranging

poolguy810 :

now the plug will have a black wire and a red wire right beside each other, one for each sensor, we need to check the resistance reading between the first set of wires as well as the second set of wires, they should both be identical or within 1%

poolguy810 :

you have to have very sharp test leads to get into the tiny slots beside each other, test red to black beside each other, then test red to black beside each other on the other end and let me know what the readings are. i will also need to know the true temperature of the water, not what the display is reading, you'll need a thermometer

Customer:

I went to the board and found 2 separate gray wires coming off of the board going to the heater pipe are those the ones to check?

poolguy810 :

yes, sometimes they are on separate harnesses, are they labeled at all on the board?

Customer:

Senser A and senser B. Also my mutimeter saysDCV/200m/2000m/20/200/1000 other side says ACV/750/200 also says DCA/200u/2000u/20m/200m 10a

Customer:

What do I st my meter at?

poolguy810 :

hmm, nothing with an omega sign, like an upside down horseshoe?

poolguy810 :

yeah, sensor a and sensor b are your temperature sensor and your high limit sensor, they should both have the same reading, once we're able to test them

Customer:

horseshoe yes 200/2000/20k/200k2000k

poolguy810 :

there ya go, set it on 200k or higher, and see if you can get the leads onto the small exposed metal strips to test the sensors

Customer:

36.5 on A and 37.5 on B

poolguy810 :

and do we know what the water temperature is?

Customer:

B is diferent 37.5 and 40.9 when I reverse the color red on black and blackon red. the water temp is 63degrees

Customer:

The water temp is 63 degrees actual. set at 104 degrees.

Customer:

When I put the red probe to red wire it reads 37.5 When I put red probe to black wire on B it reads 40.9

Customer:

I'm getting 24 off the board on A and B

Customer:

My temp on the screen in the spa now reads _ _F no temp out put. Red probe to red wire Black probe to black wire it reads 37.5 Red probe to black wire and Black probe to red wire it reads 40.9 on B. A side stays at 36.5 either way I put the probes

poolguy810 :

yeah, the display is reading right since you don't have any sensors hooked up, it's looking for them. hang on, let me check my temperature chart to compare your readings to what they should be

Customer:

Does that mean temp probe B is bad? The display is still reading _ _ F even after I hooked the probes back up and turned the spa back on.

poolguy810 :

ok, at 63 degrees, you should be reading about 42.2 K ohms, so yes, that sensor has a problem, you can check, sometimes the wire itself has a part number tag on it, if you don't see one, i can track one down for you, but will need more information off of the circuit board. if the one sensor is bad, it might not be a bad idea to change the other one at the same time as they normally go out pretty close, time wise together. let me know if you still have more questions. thanks

Experience: Servicing pools and all brands of spas for over 28 years.