Gunvir Singh
Gunvir Singh,
Experience:  Master Tech at Kennesaw Auto Tech
97664209

I just have a quick question. can a cylinder misfire lead to

Customer Question

i just have a quick question. can a cylinder misfire lead to loss of compression in the cylinder?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?
Customer: over 200,000 and it's steady.
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2004 pontiac grand prix
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Prix yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i took it to big o and they replaced my spark plugs as well as spark plug wires. the problem went away for a couple weeks then it came back even worse. i decided to change out the ignition coils myself. when i did i noticed that they connected the spark plugs to the coil packs in the wrong order. would that have anything to do with it? are they responsible for it because they did it incorrectly?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thank you.
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gunvir Singh replied 13 days ago.

Hello, let me check some info. plese stand by.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
ok.

If the spark plug wires were installed at wrong position. The vehcile should have never left their shop. And to your original question, if a vehicle that is misfiring is driven for longer period of time it could cause internal engine issues which can cause cylinder to loose compression.

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
awesome, that's what i thought also. i wanted to get a second opinion before i go to their shop again.
thanks a bunch!

You're welcome and good luck with your vehicle, And please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.

Please read this:

Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.

1. I am an independent auto mechanic and do not work at or for Just Answer.

2. When you're pleased or happy with my assistance or efforts to help you, at the top of the screen please rate me .

3. I only get credit for my work from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer

Expert:  Gunvir Singh replied 10 days ago.

Please don’t forget to rate my performance in the upper left corner otherwise i don’t get compensated. Thank you and have a blessed day.