GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 plus years. experience as GM technician, ASE Master Technician and GM Certified.
70078276

How do i remove the housing where the axle shaft goes into

Customer Question

how do i remove the housing where the axle shaft goes into trans. Right side auto trans, 97 pontiac grand am. The bushing is wore bad in mine and it leaks fluid even with a new seal.
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Expert:  Lou P. replied 7 days ago.

is this the housing you are trying to remove?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
yeah it looks like it, but my housing will only come out about half an inch and gets hung up. My bushing is in the housing and not part of the dif.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 days ago.

it should just come right off, can you take some pictures of yours? there is a tab next to reply where you can add files.

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
I will send pictures tomorrow, and try to get some numbers off the transmission. I am not by the car at this moment.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 5 days ago.

ok sounds good.

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
these are the pictures i got. The picture you sent me i believe is of a slightly newer transmission than mine because i know the newer type will just pull right off. I went to the dealer and they said i have to buy the housing complete with the bushing, they don't sell the bushing separate. I did not buy it yet since i can't get mine out but it would only take them a day or two to get it.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 days ago.

ahhh, did you remove the output speed sensor or the sensor that looks to be sticking out of the housing at the top left?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
yeah i removed the sensor the first time i tried to take it off. then i just put another new seal in there and put it all back together, but actually this time it pushed the seal out of the housing, i guess since the bushing is so bad.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 4 days ago.

ok let me opt out, see if another tech has some insight, best of luck

Expert:  Gary replied 4 days ago.

new expert here did you still need help ?

removing the sensor and the 4 bolts on the housing it should tap off and come off at one part

did you try that yet ?

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
yeah i tried that and mine will only come out about a quarter of an inch and then get hung up. i know the newer style will do that like from 2000 and on, but mine seems like it want to pull the diff out with it whereas the other one will just leave the diff in there and the housing slides right off. I am afraid to pull it off with a puller in case i break something inside and have to pull the whole transmission out.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 3 days ago.

Hello my name is Bob.

It sounds like the bushing is stuck on the diff carrier.

You could try to put a screwdriver between the housing and trans case.

Than with a punch or something that can reach the center pin on the carrier tape on it.

Keep going back an forth tapping and prying on the screwdriver. This should work the housing off the carrier.

The carrier maybe damaged that is why it is stuck on the bushing.

Please let me know if this helps.

Customer: replied 18 hours ago.
I have not had the chance to look at it lately. I will try to look at it tomorrow morning.
Expert:  GM Bob replied 18 hours ago.
That's fine.
Just keep me updated