GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My daughter drives a 2003 Pontiac Aztek I bought her about 2

Customer Question

My daughter drives a 2003 Pontiac Aztek I bought her about 2 years ago. It only has 79,000 miles on it. The sun roof worked when we bought it, but it now no longer will open. I can hear the motor humming, but the glass doesn't move. I took it to a local Buick/GMC dealer today -- her birthday -- to have it repaired as a birthday present. I got a call back a couple of hours later from the service department agent I dropped it off to and was told that the motor was bad. They could tell it was generating heat somehow. But the bad news, he said, was they couldn't find a replacement motor. They even searched on e-Bay, he said. So, I searched around myself and found multiple web sites with this motor for sale. It appears this motor was used on every Aztek with a moon roof ever made -- from 2001 through 2005, as well as on its sister Buick Rendezvous and on literally dozens of other GM vehicles from 1997 through 2005. Even Wal-Mart has 5 of these motors on the shelf in Terre Haute. http://parts.royaloakschevy.com/p/Pontiac__Aztek/Motor-sun-roof/47153652/12473034.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla So why would someone bull shit me like this? How tough a job is it to replace one of these things? My daughter's vehicle is in excellent condition and I know of many Aztek/Rendezvous owners who have put more than 200,000 miles on their vehicles. I want to keep it up. Is there something I don't know about this job?
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Has there been any leaking from the hoses?
Customer: I believe you're responding to someone else.
JA: Are you fixing your Aztek yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far, I've tried to find out what's wrong and get someone else to fix it. As I mentioned above, I've been told -- for a $95 fee -- that it's the motor in the moon roof that's bad, but they can't repair it, because they can't find the part.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it. How big of a job is it to replace one of these motors? CAn an amateur do it? It seems to me to get at it would require removing the headliner. If that so?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  john aka eaut replied 1 month ago.

Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.
thye hardest part is dropping the whole headliner

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto