Roy Belding
Roy Belding, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Master ASE since 1980
3506196

I have a 1987 Pontiac 6000 STE The VIN No is

Customer Question

I have a 1987 Pontiac 6000 STE The VIN No is 2G2AH51W5H9225033. I no longer as strong as I used to be and have great difficulty opening the engine compartment hood. Is there anything available or easily made which would assist me in oopening the hood? Thanks!.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?
Customer: 135000 miles. Automatic transmission.
JA: Are you fixing your 6000 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would not be fixing it myself. I haven't tried anything yet
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing comes to mind.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Roy Belding replied 4 months ago.

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

do you mean lifting the hood or pulling on the cable???

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Lifting the hood. The cable for releasing the hood is working just fine and is easy to pull on. Once one pulls on the cable which releases the hood lock, it is very difficult to raise the hood since it is very heavy.

ok, thanks

I suggest hood struts. they make it easy to raise up and lower. there is other way to make it easier to raise it. that is the only assist available.

Roy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Greetings! Here is the full procedure to open the hood:
1) Open the driver's side door, and be seated in the driver's seat.
2) Pull the hood release lever toward you. It pulls easily and releases easily.
3} Get out of car and walk to front of vehicle. You will notice that the hood is loose. Reach just under the hood with one of your hads and move your hand back and forth till it contacts the under the hood latch. Now pull on the latch and while continuing to pull on the latch, use your other hand to raise the hood (difficult!). After raising it a few inches with one hand, one can now use both hands to completely raise the hood. Now there is a long under the hood retainer wire to the left just above the headlight area, which one will raise and latch into the indentation for that purpose on the under side of the hood toward the front of the vehicle. Unfortunately one has to begin therefore, by raising the hood with one hand while using the other hand to hold and continue to pull to pull on the latch which is very difficult.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The last sentence should read: "Unfortunately one has to begin therefore, by raising the hood with one hand while using the other hand to hold and continue to pull on the latch which is very difficult.

correct. with the hood struts, it will make that process much easier

Roy

Roy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Greetings! I found the Owner's Manual. Here are the instructions for opening the hood:
"HOOD RELEASE
The hood release handle is on the left side of the instrument panel. To open, pull the handle to release the hood lock. Then, push down slightly on the hood while lifting the under hood lever, raise the hood, and hold it open with the hood prop (what I had called a wire in my previous list of instructions) on the left center o.f the hood.
To lower, lift the hood slightly to remove tension from the hood prop. Then, place the hood prop in its retaining clip, and lower the hood."
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The car did not come with hood struts.

I know this. what I am telling you is you need to have them installed to assist you in lifting the hood. it can be done to help you lift the hood without much effort

Roy

Roy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
What is a hood strut? Where would hood struts attach? Would hood struts pull the hood upward after I moved the under hood lever to the left? By the way, Pontiac is no longer in business.

a hood strut looks like a small shock. it mounts to the inner fender and the hood back by the hinge. as soon as you pull on the cable and it releases, it starts or assists moving up. you will still need 2 hands to hold the hood and release the safety but as soon as you do that you will have an easy lift. a lot of gm cars use this system

I know Pontiac is no longer around.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I will look for a mechanic who can do this tomorrow. I will let you know when I find a mechanic who can do this. Thank you very much.

your welcome

Roy

Roy

do not understand why you have accepted my answers. I gave you what you requested and need to be paid. we are sub contractors who only get paid when you hit accept or 5 stars. we want to be paid just like you do when you work every day.

Roy

Roy

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
On Monday Jan. 30, I brought my car to my mechanic, Douglas of Dimm V Auto Service located at***** Uniondale, NY to have Struts installed under the hood of my car. On Friday, Feb 3rd I stopped by the service station to pick up and pay for the strut installation. Upon arriving at the service station, I tried to open the hood. Even though I lifted on the hood lever with all my might, I was unable to budge the hood. The mechanic, Douglas claimed that he had tried to talk me out of installing the struts. I suggested installing a more powerful strut but Douglas said that if he installed a more powerful strut, the hood would be damaged when I went to close the hood. I asked Douglas what he would do if he were me. He had no suggestions. He said that since he had warned me not to have struts installed on my car, he would only refund me 20 percent of the repair bill. Now I am stuck with a car that I can't raise the hood of. It was a false statement you made when you said "I suggest hood struts. they make it easy to raise up and lower" the hood. Easy is not the same as "with all my might."

he is wrong. I never made a false statement to you

you asked for my advice and I gave to you in good faith. the fact that you went to someone who did not help you the correct way is not my fault at all. this forum is for advice only. we have done this many times in the past with success. I cannot control the opinions of the repair people at your end.

making a statement about me like that is insulting to me. I have over 50 years experience in this field and have done custom work on many vehicles for handicapped people.

shame you take the word of someone with less experience than one who has done this repair before.

good day

Oh, by the way, did your mechanic ever figure he may have installed the strut upside down??? that would account for the hood not being able to open. when trunks are released, they open by themselves due to the struts that control it. but I guess you already know that