GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I'm, I bought this 2002 Sunfire as is. When i got it home it

Customer Question

Hi I'm gary, I bought this 2002 Sunfire as is. When i got it home it overheated. I replaced the coolant reservoir cap, and kept adding antifreeze. Meanwhile The diagnostic on the powertrain control module ran and registered a "catalytic converter efficiency bank 1" alarm code . Because I reset the code with my reader. The trouble was that i wasn't able to complete the drive cycle before it overheated. What I did was just take the thermosthat out of the system and the system now runs at a cool 150 degrees . The trouble is now the system hasn't read ready on my reader for 250 miles of driving. The question is : Is there a minimum temperature the engine has to run before the Catylytic Converter will run? control
JA: Have you seen this code before? Have you tried a hard reset?
Customer: When I got the car ,the battery was totally dead. So I'm guessing my*****home , plus all the test driving for the cooling problem, the alarm showed several miles after i bought it.showed . Now that the thermosthat was removed , the catalytic converter diagnostic doesn't ever seem to finish running. Therefore The vehicle will fail inspection because all the diagnostics haven't run
JA: Are you fixing your Sunfire yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: fixing it myself . I reset the code . Temporarily fixed the cooling problem . Test drive for 250 miles ....tested fan circuit... worked ok
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  david craig replied 1 month ago.

Hi Im David, yes there is a certain temperature the vehicles computer needs to see to complete a drive cycle. please allow me a few minutes to get that information. thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok

heres a drive cycle

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you saying that removing the thermosthat doesn't affect whether the drive cycle can complete?

yes, it will. the thermostat has to regulate the temperature so the computer can use that information for driveability.

no idea why those steps were sent again.

can i be of further assistance?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No thanks
Expert:  Gary replied 1 month ago.

new expert here did you still need help ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no thanks