Todd M
Todd M,
Experience:  Technician at Montgomery Motors
97226864

I have a 2006 pontiac montana when i start it up it takes it

Customer Question

I have a 2006 pontiac montana when i start it up it takes it forever to warmup and when istart to drive the tempertaure begin to dr op
JA: How many miles are on the car? Have you checked the coolant level?
Customer: there 102000 miles on it and the coolant is fine
JA: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no i haent
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I know of 2 problems that may cause this issue. First, it sounds like your thermostat is stuck open. This wont hurt the motor but the vehicle never fully reached optimum running temperature because the coolant is just flowing through the engine continuously and not able the heat up from the motor. Second, your coolant temperature sensor is malfunctioning and not reading properly.

Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

I'm leaning towards the thermostat because if it was the temperature sensor, you would more than likely be displaying driveability issue, like running rich on fuel.

Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

My advice is to check for both of these issues and replace as necessary. I'm confident that one of these will be your issue.

Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

If you have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated. Thank you...