Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have 15+ years gm experiance and am very knowledgeable with systems and operations and diagnosis and have access to factory wiring diagrams and tsb's
27644750

Check engine light is flashing then going off for several

Customer Question

check engine light is flashing then going off for several minutes then comes on and flashes again
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: when it activates it blinks a few times. then goes off. a few minutes later this repeats
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2008 gxp
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: i have not tried anything. My wife is driving the car and is 2 hours away. She called me to report this
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Lou P. replied 14 days ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Expert:  Lou P. replied 14 days ago.

when the check engine light is flashing it means that the engine is misfiring, when its misfiring like that its not advisable to keep driving as damage to the catalytic converter can occur. it can be something as simple as a loose spark plug wire or spark plug or a little more in depth like a failed coil or even poor fuel quality at no fault of here own, she can run by a parts store and have then read the codes just do not let her shut the engine or car off as it can erase the codes and not show up on the scan. Lou