GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Starts and runs but after you shut it off it does not want

Customer Question

Starts and runs but after you shut it off it does not want to start again. I have found that opening the hood and the fuse box beside the battery which houses the Fuel Pump Relay, Crank relay and others are located there. If I press on the relays it starts right up.
JA: How many miles are on the car? How old is the battery?
Customer: Battery is not too to old. Standby for mileage
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2001 Sunfire
JA: Are you fixing your Sunfire yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I took the first look at it last night when my girlfriend told me the issue
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The serpentine belt seems to be squeeling but that is only what I was told, I have not heard this yet.
Category: Pontiac
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
168000 miles
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

Does the pushing on the relay/fuse box work every time?

I would suspect to see a ton of corrosion or rust inside that relay box if that's the case. You might start by removing the fuse box and looking for signs of corrosion, or burn marks in the circuit board.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
She tells me it has worked everytime she has tried it. I was thinking the same thing. Remove that whole relay/ fusebox and see whats going on underneath, It could be some massive corrosion or even possibly a bare wire that when pressed is making enoug contact to start it.
Expert:  Jared D replied 5 months ago.

There are a couple of voltage feed wires leading from the fuse box to the interior wiring harness, and one large red wire feeding voltage to the fuse box. I would check that to make sure it's tight, and any ground wires on the frame nearby need to be clean and tight also.

There's a good chance the relay sockets might just have some corrosion in them. You might get some dielectric grease and fill the relay sockets with it and then plug the relays in and see if the problem stop happening.