Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

Steering gets very hard then is okay. replaced serpentine

Customer Question

steering gets very hard then is okay. replaced serpentine belt about 3 months ago and things were fine. starting Christmas now same problem
JA: What shape is the serpentine belt in? Is it cracked, shiny, or frayed? And have you ever replaced one?
Customer: replaced 3 months ago and yes it was cracked
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2004 GP2
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: had someone put on the belt 3 months ago and now I have removed brake fluid and replaced with new fluid to condition system
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: October tune up and oil change after replacing catalytic converter
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Does the steering make any noises when turning it at all when the engine is running?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no noise
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I dont want a call
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Do I need to replace the pump or could this be something else>
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I started this at 1:57pm. Still waiting for an answer...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
order 17008759-280 this is a farce... you are not helping me
Expert:  Pete replied 1 month ago.

No call needed here we can continue here.I apologize for the delay had to do a PC restart.

This is usually the pump itself at fault here needing replaced.The pump fails to deliver the correct pressure and can be intermittent in some cases off and on like this here.You can have the pump pressure tested with a power steering pump pressure test kit or you can also check this manually.You would take a pair of channel locks and with the engine running locate the pressure hose at the pump a rubber section of this hose and slowly start to squeeze off this hose,the hose should kick back on you pretty good if there is pressure.If it barely kicks back or no kick back at all then the pump needs replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete