Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

I have a new fob for my 09 G6, can I program this fob at

Customer Question

I have a new fob for my 09 G6, can I program this fob at home
JA: Did the fob come with the vehicle, or did you buy a blank?
Customer: Blank, old one that came with the car is broken
JA: Are you fixing your G6 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes on first question, placing key holding unlock button, the turn key 3 times on off
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Can I program myself
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 3 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Unfortunately on this model here the transmitter has to be programmed with a dealers Tech 2 scan tool plugged into your vehicle.I dont see or show a manual way for this here.A dealer will charge anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour to charge this all depending on dealer policy.

Here is the procedure they will follow for your model:

Transmitter Slot Programming

Transmitter slot programming allows a single transmitter to be programmed into a specific slot without affecting any of the other programmed transmitters. By using slot programming, the transmitter originally programmed to a specific slot is erased and the new transmitter learned in its placed.

1. Install a scan tool.
2. Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.
3. With the scan tool, select Body.
4. Select Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR).
5. Select Module Setup.
6. Select Program Key Fobs.
7. Select the key fob desired to be programmed.
8. Follow the scan tool on screen instructions.
9. Remove the scan tool.
10. Exit the vehicle. Operate all functions on transmitters to verify correct system operation.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete