Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

I have a 02 Grand Prix the service engine soon light start

Customer Question

I have a 02 Grand Prix the service engine soon light start flashing yesterday will on highway going 80mph then stop flashing after 3-4 seconds but stayed on. When I got home I plugged up my code reader the code it gave me was P0306. I looked up the code it's a misfire but today when I started up my car the engine light was off. I drove to work on the highway engine light didn't come on but on my way home on the same highway the engine light did the same thing it did yesterday.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 2 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The flashing light indicates that a misfire is detected.With the code set this is misfire in cylinder 6 indicated by the number 6 at the end of the code.The light flashes to alert the driver there is an engine misfire needing repaired before it damages the catalytic converter in the exhaust system.

It sounds like the misfire is intermittent since it has come and gone and back again.This can be a fault with the #6 fuel injector not atomizing properly.This is most common with the injectors needing cleaned.I have also seen common issues on the 3.8 liter with the spark plug and plug wire causing this with both needing replaced.Plugs should be replaced around 100,000 miles and spark plug wires every 5 years.If these are o.k. then I would have the injectors cleaned to keep this from occuring again.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete