Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

I had my 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix jacked up on the left side

Customer Question

I had my 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix jacked up on the left side for a few hours replacing rear brake lines , ever since then the fuel sender does not read properly , What could be causing this to happen ? Are they known for this ?
JA: When did you last fill the tank? And do you smell gasoline around the engine?
Customer: No fuel leaks anywhere.jJust filled it up again after replacing the brake lines .It had 1/4 tank fuel when we jacked it up,when we set it down it was reading empty ,Drove it down road and gauge was bouncing between empty & 1/4 tank, filled it up and goes to full then drops down to empty-1/4 tank after a few miles down the road
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Prix yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Inspected all the fuel lines from motor to fuel tank for leaks, nothing leaking fuel anywhere.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: We stop the car and restart it ,the gauge will go back up to Full tank and stay till you drive it down road again a short distance
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

I am sorry your having this problem

these are very common for fuel level sensor issues failing on these cars

when it was jacked up it just finished off the sender in the tank

it is nothing you did at all it is just a common issue for these cars

the fuel sender would need to be changed to correct this issue

dont forget to rate us here

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

dont forget to rate us here

Expert:  Gary replied 3 months ago.

how are you making out ?

dont forget to rate us here