sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Its a 2009 Pontiac G6 Gt 3.5 sedan, with pcm code p0113, and

Customer Question

Hi, Its a 2009 Pontiac G6 Gt 3.5 sedan , with pcm code p0113 , and th tc light come on and off randomly, I read a lot and even replace the maf sensor , every
JA: Does the engine stall right after starting? And what about hesitation or jerking during acceleration?
Customer: no the car runs perfect !! all the time
JA: Are you fixing your G6 GT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes , check the intake and replace the maf sensor , everything its factory
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no ! , I have a scanner and I clear the code let the car run in the garage for a while and nothing, it turn on the tc light as soon I move the car and goes on and off during the trip but no check engine light just the Tc light
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 8 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
55357;�

hey how are you

1- can you run this test below on the IAT SENSOR TO SEE IF IT IS WORKING AND WE GO FROM THERE ,

DTC P0112 or P0113 Diagnostic Instructions * Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle ( See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview) prior to using this diagnostic procedure. * Review Strategy Based Diagnosis ( See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview) for an overview of the diagnostic approach. * Diagnostic Procedure Instructions ( See: Vehicle > Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview) provides an overview of each diagnostic category. DTC Descriptors DTC P0112 - Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage DTC P0113 - Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor Circuit High Voltage Diagnostic Fault Information

Circuit/System Description The intake air temperature (IAT) sensor is a variable resistor. The IAT sensor has a signal circuit and a low reference circuit. The IAT sensor measures the temperature of the air entering the engine. The engine control module (ECM) supplies 5 volts to the IAT signal circuit, and a ground for the IAT low reference circuit. Conditions for Running the DTC P0112 * DTCs P0116, P0117, P0118, P0502, P0503, P0608, or P0609 is not set. * The engine run time is greater than 10 seconds. * The DTC runs continuously when the above conditions are met. P0113 * DTCs P0101, P0102, P0103, P0116, P0117, P0118, P0502, P0503, P0608, or P0609 is not set. * The engine run time is greater than 10 seconds. * The DTC runs continuously when the above conditions are met. Conditions for Setting the DTC P0112 The ECM detects that the IAT sensor parameter is warmer than 149°C (300°F) for greater than 5 seconds. P0113 The ECM detects that the IAT sensor parameter is colder than -39°C (-38°F) for greater than 5 seconds. Action Taken When the DTC Sets DTC P0112 and P0113 are Type B DTCs. Conditions for Clearing the DTC DTC P0112 and P0113 are Type B DTCs. Diagnostic Aids * With the ignition ON, and the engine OFF, if the engine is cold, a properly functioning IAT sensor will gradually increase the scan tool IAT Sensor parameter. This is due to the heat that is generated by the mass air flow (MAF) sensor heating elements. * Depending on the ambient temperature, an IAT sensor signal circuit or low reference circuit that is shorted to the MAF sensor signal circuit can cause a DTC P0113 to set. This condition causes a rapid fluctuation in the IAT Sensor parameter. * An IAT sensor signal circuit that is shorted to the MAF sensor ignition circuit can cause a DTC P0113 to set. Reference Information Schematic Reference Engine Controls Schematics ( See: Powertrain Management > Electrical) Connector End View Reference Component Connector End Views ( See: Vehicle > Connector Views) Electrical Information Reference * Circuit Testing ( See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics) * Connector Repairs ( See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics) * Testing for Intermittent Conditions and Poor Connections ( See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics) * Wiring Repairs ( See: Vehicle > Component Tests and General Diagnostics) DTC Type Reference Powertrain Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) Type Definitions ( See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Diagnostic Trouble Code Descriptions) Scan Tool Reference Control Module References ( See: Vehicle > Programming and Relearning) for scan tool information Circuit/System Verification 1. Engine running, observe the scan tool IAT Sensor parameter. The reading should be between -38 to +149°C (-38 to +300°F) depending on the current ambient temperature and the vehicle operating conditions. 2. Operate the vehicle within the Conditions for Running the DTC. You may also operate the vehicle within the conditions that you observed from the Freeze Frame/Failure Records data. Circuit/System Testing 1. Ignition OFF, disconnect the harness connector at the IAT sensor. 2. Ignition OFF for 90 seconds, test for less than 5 ohms between the low reference circuit terminal E and ground. ◊If greater than the specified range, test the low reference circuit for an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM. 3. Ignition ON, verify the scan tool IAT parameter is colder than -39°C (-38°F). ◊If greater than the specified range, test the signal circuit terminal D for a short to ground. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM. 4. Install a 3A fused jumper wire between the signal circuit terminal D and ground. Verify the scan tool IAT parameter is greater than 149°C (300°F). ◊If less than the specified range, test the signal circuit for a short to voltage or an open/high resistance. If the circuit tests normal, replace the ECM. 5. If all circuits test normal, test or replace the IAT sensor. Component Testing Measure and record the resistance of the IAT sensor at various ambient temperatures, then compare those measurements to the Temperature Versus Resistance ( See: Computers and Control Systems > Electrical > Temperature Versus Resistance) table. Repair Instructions Perform the Diagnostic Repair Verification ( See: A L L Diagnostic Trouble Codes ( DTC ) > Verification Tests) after completing the repair. * Mass Airflow Sensor with Intake Air Temperature Sensor Replacement (NU6) ( See: Air Temperature Sensor ( Ambient / Intake ) > Removal and Replacement)Mass Airflow Sensor with Intake Air Temperature Sensor Replacement (NT7) ( See: Air Temperature Sensor ( Ambient / Intake ) > Removal and Replacement) * Control Module References ( See: Vehicle > Programming and Relearning) for ECM replacement, setup, and programming.

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
its got nothing related to a any other wheel sensor ??

i will opt out of your question & open it for another expert to assist you on it

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the traction control light is the only light coming on then that shouldn't be related to the fault code you mentioned previously, which would turn the engine light on.

Do you know what fault codes are setting in the ABS module?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
the code its p0113 , no abs light just the tc and sometime the check engine light , I do notice while Im driving when as soon as I let go the gas pedal the the tc light turn off and going back on as soon as a hit the gas pedal again
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have to clarify that yes !! , it throw the check engine light with the tc light and the codeits p0113 !!

You need to read fault codes from the ABS module if you're going to attempt to diagnose the traction control light. If the light is staying on without you pressing the button then there are fault codes setting in the ABS module.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
ok , what about the code p0113 ?
thanks

That was addressed in detail by the first expert that replied.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it has nothing to do one code from the other?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
any chance it could be a bad ecm ?

Possibly, but you appeared to say that the traction control light was coming on without the engine light. If they only come on together then you may just have one issue, but the only way to know what is turning on the traction control light is to read the codes from the ABS module.

PCM failures are possible but not common.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
hmm , well they turn in together but when I clear the check engine light with the scanner the only light that keep coming on and off while driving its the Tc

If the traction control light stays on without the engine light on then they are not coming on and staying on together.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
it can throw and abs code without turning on the abs light ? just the tc ?

Yes. Traction control is a function of the ABS system. The traction control light is coming on because a fault code is setting in the ABS module.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
got it. thanks !

You're welcome!