sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2009 G8 GT and for several months it is hard to

Customer Question

I have a 2009 G8 GT and for several months it is hard to start at times but will always eventually start. It will turn over and then if i turn the key off and try it again and it will either start right up or turn over for a bit and then start. Ive been told it could be a fuel pump, fuel relay, computer, or wiring issue. Ive had it hooked up to a computer and the only codes it gives is miss fire codes. Before i start dumping a lot of money i dont have a wanted to check here for advise. Thank you for your help.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: In park, and im not sure about a wheel lock feature.
JA: Are you fixing your GT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Not doing it myself, have to find an honest mechanic. And the only things ive tried is using premium fuel and occasional fuel additive to clean fuel system. It seems to have more issues when im either below a quarter of a tank and above 3/4 of a tank. People have told me that if it was a fuel pump that it would have completely gone out by now, not sure if thats a true statement. Lol. Pretty much listening to others but so many options im not sure where to start.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: This problem has been going on for almost a year now
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  david craig replied 6 months ago.

Hi Im David, thanks for visiting the site. what are the codes you are getting? which cylinders are misfiring? misfires will result in hard starts.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't have that information, I apologize, a friend hooked my car up to his computer and didn't give me the codes, just said they were misfire codes.

I really need to know the codes if we are going to fix your car. please have him put the reader on it again.

checking in to see how its going

Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Unless it's running very poorly when it does start then misfire codes aren't likely to be related to the starting problem.

It's very possible that you could have a bad fuel pump but it may also be a sensor related issue such as a bad cam or crank sensor. Electrical problems would usually set a fault code though.

Has fuel pressure been tested at the time it doesn't start?