Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand am with the 3.4. When cold

I have a 2002 Pontiac Grand am with the 3.4. When cold acceleration is fine. When it warms up, it stumbles and bucks until it reaches 3000rpm. Then pulls fine until the shift and drops below 3000rpm. No codes and IAC looks good according to scanner.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1-few things things might cause this with no fault showing when you scan, 11- MAF sensor 2- CKP sensor 3- low fuel pressure

have you checked these yet

2- has the car been tuned up plug ,coils

3- what is the mileage ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Changed MAF. CKP is showing fine. Fuel pressure is around 55
Recent tune up.
133000

1-your fuel specs on the 02 pontiac grand am 3.4 liter

Fuel Pressure

Key On Engine Off (KOEO)52-59 psi

ok read below please , it could be injector or pcm issue

Acceleration Mode When the driver pushes on the accelerator pedal, air flow into the cylinders increases rapidly, while fuel flow tends to lag behind. To prevent possible hesitation, the PCM increases the pulse width to the injectors to provide extra fuel during acceleration. The PCM determines the amount of fuel required based upon the throttle position, the coolant temperature, the manifold air pressure, the mass air flow, and the engine speed.

e Powertrain Control Module (PCM) monitors voltages from several sensors in order to determine how much fuel to give the engine. The fuel is delivered under one of several conditions called modes. The PCM controls all modes. Starting Mode With the ignition switch in the ON position, before engaging the starter, the PCM energizes the fuel pump relay for 2 seconds allowing the fuel pump to build up pressure. The PCM first tests speed density, then switches to the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor. The PCM also uses the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT), the Throttle Position (TP), and the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensors to determine the proper air/fuel ratio for starting. The PCM controls the amount of fuel delivered in the starting mode by changing the pulse width of the injectors. This is done by pulsing the injectors for very short times. Clear Flood Mode If the engine floods, clear the engine by pressing the accelerator pedal down to the floor and then crank the engine. When the Throttle Position (TP) sensor is at wide open throttle, the PCM reduces the injector pulse width in order to increase the air to fuel ratio. The PCM holds this injector rate as long as the throttle stays wide open and the engine speed is below a predetermined RPM. If the throttle is not held wide open, the PCM returns to the starting mode. Run Mode The run mode has 2 conditions called Open Loop and Closed Loop. When the engine is first started and the engine speed is above a predetermined RPM, the system begins Open Loop operation. The PCM ignores the signal from the Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) and calculates the air/fuel ratio based on inputs from the ECT, MAF, MAP, and TP sensors. The system stays in Open Loop until meeting the following conditions: ^ Both HO2S have varying voltage output, showing that they are hot enough to operate properly. This depends upon the engine temperature. ^ The ECT sensor is above a specified temperature. ^ A specific amount of time has elapsed after starting the engine. Specific values for the above conditions exist for each different engine, and are stored in the Electrically Erasable Programmable Read-Only Memory (EEPROM). The system begins Closed Loop operation after reaching these values. In Closed Loop, the PCM calculates the air/fuel ratio (injector on-time) based upon the signal from various sensors, but mainly from the HO2S. This allows the air/fuel ratio to stay very close to 14.7:1. Acceleration Mode When the driver pushes on the accelerator pedal, air flow into the cylinders increases rapidly, while fuel flow tends to lag behind. To prevent possible hesitation, the PCM increases the pulse width to the injectors to provide extra fuel during acceleration. The PCM determines the amount of fuel required based upon the throttle position, the coolant temperature, the manifold air pressure, the mass air flow, and the engine speed. Deceleration Mode When the driver releases the accelerator pedal, air flow into the engine is reduced. The PCM reads the corresponding changes in throttle position, manifold air pressure, and mass air flow. The PCM shuts OFF fuel completely if the deceleration is very rapid, or for long periods, such as long, closed-throttle coast-down. The fuel shuts OFF in order to protect the catalytic converters. Battery Voltage Correction Mode When the battery voltage is low, the PCM compensates for the weak spark delivered by the ignition system in the following ways: ^ Increasing the amount of fuel delivered ^ Increasing the idle RPM ^ Increasing the ignition dwell time Fuel Cutoff Mode The PCM cuts off fuel from the fuel injectors when the following conditions are met in order to protect the powertrain from damage and improve driveability: ^ The ignition is OFF. This prevents engine run-on. ^ The ignition is ON but there is no ignition reference signal. This prevents flooding or backfiring. ^ The engine speed is too high, above red line. ^ The vehicle speed is too high, above rated tire speed. ^ During an extended, high speed, closed throttle coast down - This reduces emissions and increases engine braking. ^ During extended deceleration, in order to protect the catalytic converters.

Can you run the fuel injector test

i sent you a diagram click on the link to open
Fuel Injector Pressure Drop

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Does it make a difference if it is a 6 cylinder, not a 4 like the diagram states?Also, upon reading, why would the engine accelerate fine when cold and only act up upon reaching near operating temp?
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Have to leave. Will be back on tomorrow after 315 pm central time.

no it does not , this is just an example ,the key is

the Pressure Drop after 2nd reading has to be between 22.5 & 25.5 , if below or above you replace injector

read the box carefully what it states .

look at where the heading says (cylinder)

the last line shows the range of the drop 22.5 to 25.5

what are the fuel trims at idle when running at operating temperature ? long term & short terms readings ?

are the oxygen sensor fluctuating from 0.1 to 0.9 volts the upstream ones ?

ok sounds good

i m online daily from 10 am till late central time

just reply back when ready

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Injectors tested fine. Tried different fuel pressure gauge and warm its 49psi cold is 50 psi.

you are low in the fuel pressure, i m mean border line ,actually 2 psi lower then minimum

That pump is not up to specs !!

you can nit continue trouble shooting & throwing parts at it , if fuel pressure is not correct

specs are 52 to 59 & you are getting 50 psi.

Change fuel pump

Hey How are you ,just checking on you & see if you need additional help on it

HAPPY THANKSGIVING

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat