George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years
13574682

I need to tighten my parking brake cable on the

Customer Question

I need to tighten my parking brake cable on the center-mounted parking brake lever (between front seats)on a 2006 Pontiac Torrent. I can only access that by removing the center, floor-mounted console that includes the lower cup tray and the armrest assembly. How do I do that and where are the clips /screws holding this thing down?
JA: Have your brakes ever been replaced? Have you checked the brake fluid?
Customer: Back brakes are drum/shoe. Replaced yesterday. Front brakes are disc, replaced a month ago. All brakes are good, I just need to tighten up the parking (emergency) brake cable (attached to rear brakes)
JA: Are you fixing your Torrent yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Fixed myself with help by my son-in-law who has a garage. All I need to know is how to tighten the parking brake cable. The Parking Brake was loose before I changed the drums/shoes yesterday, slightly better after replacing the drum/shoes, but the parking brake lever still needs some tightening.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have a diagram of the floor mounted center console between the front seats where the parking brake level is located, however I need some instruction on how to remove it so that I can access the lower adjusting bolt on the parking brake level assembly.
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  George H. replied 14 days ago.

Hello I will help,

The procedure is here (click)

The adjustment procedure is here (click)

Look those over and let me know how I can help

Thanks

Expert:  George H. replied 14 days ago.

Here is a video showing the procedure (click)

If you have no further questions please complete the rating

Thank you