Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

The heat gauge sometimes work sometimes not, check fluid

Customer Question

The heat gauge sometimes work sometimes not, check fluid okay, maybe its heating sensor or the electronics because check hose okay it does get hot then the fan kick on but the gauge does not move
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2007 Pontiac torrent - suv
JA: Are you fixing your Torrent yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Check fluid okay not gummy at all, fluid level is okay, check hose it gets warm then hot-fan kick on then then it cools down just a little, the heater blows hot air, but I notice when I put in the key and turn car on if theirs a click - gauge will not move but if there is no click it moves
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: About 4 days, and it sounds like its coming from somewhere on my dash
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 20 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

On this model the PCM (engine and transmission computer) send the signal to the dash gauge to control the temp gauge itself.There are electronics in the instrument cluster that control the actual gauge and one of them is stepper motor.This stepper motor is common to act up intermittently in the gauge assembly itself causing this fault here needing replaced as I have seen and had to do several times in the past.

The PCM wont click but the stepper motor can in the instrument cluster.So this does sound like the fault is with the instrument gauge cluster itself needing removed and repaired or removed and replaced.

If you can I would have the fault codes checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with the instrument cluster to see what codes are set as well as the scan tool used to do a gauge sweep test to help verify the instrument cluster needs repaired or replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Did stopped by O'Reilly and do code reading - nothing
Expert:  Pete replied 20 days ago.

Did they check for codes in the instrument cluster at all?In allot of cases they will only check for codes in the engine/transmission computer and this can be why no codes were detected here.

I do suspect this fault is in the instrument cluster with the stepper motor for the gauge acting up as this is common.But this will have to be checked into/tested further to be sure which will involve a scan tool that can communicate with the instrument cluster to observe the coolant temp data to see if it reads correctly when the fault occurs.If it reads the correct temp when the gauge is acting up then the instrument cluster needs replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete