Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

Have a 99 Pontiac Montana the fuel pump is getting 12.5v to

Customer Question

Have a 99 Pontiac Montana the fuel pump is getting 12.5v to prime when ignition is turned but when pump is hooked up it looses power...? Changed relay and solid black ground wire seems to have been hot cause copper wire has blackened....any help plz will be very much appreciated
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 200000 new pump
JA: Are you fixing your Montana yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes but has been known to die while driving
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: New pump and relay I'm fixing myself
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Mike S. replied 19 days ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 19 days ago.

Replace that ground wire. You may be correct and the ground is weak. If you can disconnect the ground wire from the fuel pump or the tank, do that and when you remove the other end of the wire, from I suspect will be the frame or body, make sure you use a wire brush or sandpaper and clean the metal spot where the wire attaches, and use the same gauge wire. If you cannot just unhook the ground wire from the fuel pump or tank, then you may have to drain the fuel tank, lower it and remove and install a new pump if you still cannot unhook the ground wire.

Expert:  anne-cssm replied 19 days ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (http://www.justanswer.com/pontiac/a0oxm-99-pontiac-montana-fuel-pump-getting-12-5v.html). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.