Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles
45790705

Starting disable do to theft system, Yes, 2004, Yes, checked

Customer Question

Starting disable do to theft system
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes , checked battery and stated cables
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 27 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

you will need a factory scanner or equivalent to run a diagnostic scan & retrieve fault codes from the alarm module in the vehicle.
is it the module, the receiver, hood switch , door switch, wiring etc.. , it could be number of reasons & there is not a fuse or a relay that you can pull out to disconnect it unfortunately

You can try a Master reset & see if the module reset itself

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )you can use any electrical wire as an extension if battery cables don't reach .

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
No it didn't work
Customer: replied 27 days ago.
What now

what model is it

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
2004
Customer: replied 27 days ago.

i know it is an 04 Pontiac but what model so i can look up the circuit for it ,do you have a bonnevile, lesabre what model?

do you 1 or 2 keys and if you do have tried it

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Grand Prix

as you can see this is a pretty complicated system there is no fuse to pull out to disable ,

i sent you the theft module location

and also the theft module system circuit diagram and it is connected to several switches on the car

so the scan is necessary at this time to narrow it down to what causing it , key ,module ,switch cluster .

it will have to be a pontiac scaner or equivalent , the advance auto and auto zone one want do since they can only read engine fault codes ,we need one that can read the theft module hear.

please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You
Chad Farhat

THEFT SYSTEMS DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION The theft deterrent system on this vehicle is comprised of two separate systems, the vehicle theft deterrent (VTD) system and the content theft deterrent (CTD) system. The VTD system prevents drive away theft by keeping the vehicle from starting. The CTD system is the vehicle alarm system which discourages unauthorized entry into the vehicle. These systems are described and diagnosed separately within this section. Theft System Indicators SERVICE THEFT - VTD FAIL ENABLE The drivers information center (DIC) displays the SERVICE THEFT - VTD FAIL ENABLE message when the VTD system detects a failure while the engine is running. The DIC receives a message from the BCM via the serial data circuit requesting the message to be displayed. STARTING DISABLED DUE TO THEFT The DIC displays the STARTING DISABLED DUE TO THEFT message when the VTD system has disabled the starting and fuel delivery system. The DIC receives a message from the BCM via the serial data circuit requesting the message to be displayed. THEFT SYSTEM NOT PROGRAMMED The DIC displays the THEFT SYSTEM NOT PROGRAMMED when the VTD system is in the learn mode. Keyless Entry System (W/AUO) The keyless entry system functions interact with the content theft deterrent system but is diagnosed as a stand-alone system. Refer to Keyless Entry System Description and Operation. Radio with Theftlock The theft deterrent system does not interact with radio theft lock equipped vehicles. Radio theft lock is diagnosed as a stand-alone system. Refer to Radio/Audio System Description and Operation.

Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 25 days ago.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Appreciated

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat