Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Stereo says locked, Just bought it the car used, 2001 grand

Customer Question

Stereo says locked
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has this ever happened before?
Customer: Just bought it the car used
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2001 grand am
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Am yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, tried holding the 2/3 presets unresponsive
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Eric replied 29 days ago.

HI,

GM STEREO UNLOCK

Ok, the antitheft system that locks the radio is based upon the VIN code for car it is going into being inputted via a GM factory scanner. That is the ONLY way you will get this radio operational. You will pay about 1/2hr labor for a dealer to do this for you. Again, this is the ONLY way. there are no work arounds, no programming yourself or anything else that will work. This is why the method of holding the 2/3 preset doesnt work

FROM GM SERVICE MANUAL:

RADIO UNLOCK PROCEDURE

The "Theftlock" theft deterrent system is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the "run" power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from the dash integration module (DIM) on the class 2 serial data circuit. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The two scenarios able to cause this condition are:

A radio is installed from another vehicle or a new GM audio unit

The DIM is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle

The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool. Always refer to the table in this section to diagnose the "Theftlock" DTC for further information.

Expert:  Eric replied 28 days ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.