Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified
20625509

Pontiac Grand AM Starts Briefly and Dies.

Customer Question

1998 Pontiac Grand AM 3100 SFI V6 car starts for one second and dies. l assume the fuel pump is being shut down due to the theft system. How do l wire the fuel pump direct or eliminate what is shutting it off?
Considering my options with my thinking bypass fuel relay. Wire fuel pump direct or put inline fuel pump with direct wiring l know it is shutting off due to the antitheft system as the light keeps flashing would replacing the ignition switch correct the problem? Please help.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, I am Mike, welcome. I'm reviewing your question.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 months ago.

About all you can do without a scan tool to retrieve trouble codes is try a key password *****

Try this,

1-Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2-Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3-Observe the SECURITY telltale(this is the security light), after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4-Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
5-Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6-Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password.