tims auto repair
tims auto repair, mechanic
Experience:  owns a repair shop...25yrs
14541291

The steering wheel on my 1985 Pontiac Parisienne (5.0 L

Customer Question

The steering wheel on my 1985 Pontiac Parisienne (5.0 L engine, 130k miles) is very difficult to turn when driving. There is a puddle of dark fluid beneath the engine and the various technicians (Oil Can Harry's) who have checked and changed the engine fluids over the last 3 years have noted the power steering fluid has occasionally needed topping off. The car rides low and bottoms out if driven too quickly crossing low guttered streets (even though shocks are less than a year old.) The radiator developed holes in the bottom, drained of fluids and had to be replaced and filled after the engine began smoking and bogged down. The steering was easy when the car was driven from the mechanics shop where the radiator was recently replaced but in the week since then, has tightened up to nearly an unmanageable steering level.Question: How to add power steering fluid to the engine so it can be driven to a mechanic that knows how to work on 31 year old engines? And what could have been causing the power steering fluid to drain slowly over the past two years, then nearly completely in one week after the mechanic replaced the radiator?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  tims auto repair replied 1 month ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

Question: How to add power steering fluid to the engine so it can be driven to a mechanic that knows how to work on 31 year old engines? And what could have been causing the power steering fluid to drain slowly over the past two years, then nearly completely in one week after the mechanic replaced the radiator?

1-THE FLUID IS FILLED AT THE POWER STEARING PUMP.REMOVE THE CAP AND ADD FLUID TILL IT SHOWS FULL ON THE STICK

2-I WOULD THINK THE PUMP OR THE STEERING GEAR BOX ITSELF IS LEAKING OR THE FLUID HOSES TO IT

3-THE RADIATOR IS A SEPERATE PROBLEM AND DIDNT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE STEERING,THERE IS NO CONNECTION

THANKS

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feedback ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.