adamfeather, Technician
Experience:  Master automotive technician ,ASE master certified,associates degree in automotive technology

2002 grand prix will not start...has fire and fuel to the

Customer Question

2002 grand prix will not start...has fire and fuel to the manifold, but injectors do not open. This seems to be a problem with this Pontiac engine as I've read. Some think it is the Security Syst.....then it will randomly start and run fine for a short time??? Have you heard of this??
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: Runs fine, good mileage. Same as usual.... until it decides to quit again.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Prix yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, I've already replaced it. Only tried a cam position sensor as suggested on some sites that have dealt with the problem?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I really don't think their is anything else. The injectors opening seems to be the issue???
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Cary York replied 7 days ago.

Hi, I’m Cary and I’ll be helping you today.
Please understand that I can't smell, hear, or touch the vehicle, so patience is appreciated. Before leaving the site make sure and leave me a rating. You can still reply to me as many times as needed, even after the rating..

Does the vehicle ever shut off while driving or just will not start on start-up?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Fails to start-up only.....thus far
Expert:  Cary York replied 7 days ago.

Have you noticed if the anti-thief light is on or flashing when it fails to start?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I have not, as a matter of fact the SECURITY annunciator light will extinguish as you continue to crank the engine
Expert:  Cary York replied 7 days ago.

How often does it fail to start?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
It been maybe 3 times in the last 4-5's been taking longer for it to start working again....about 1.5 months now???
Expert:  Cary York replied 6 days ago.

I have to go. I will opt out now so another expert can help.

Expert:  adamfeather replied 6 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to assist you! I have an associates degree in automotive technology, I’m ASE certified with 15 total years in the field. Let me gather some information to help.

So we are on the same page your sure you have spark and the security light goes out while cranking. You have also noticed the injectors do not pulse. Have you noticed with a stethoscope listening for the click or do you have a noide light or voltmeter?

I've researched my database for similar problems and it backs up what I've seen at my shop. Without further testing it is likely the PCM (engine computer) is faulty. The fuel injectors are controlled internally by the PCM and the drivers can burnout. It usually starts as an intermittent problem and gets worse as you described. There are a few tests you can do if you have a multimeter or test light. Or if cheap enough maybe try a junk yard PCM to swap in as long as the engine and trans from the donor car are the same!

Let me know what else I can do to help. I can try to give you some test steps if you don't wanna gamble on the PCM.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
If I spray starting fluid in the intake it will run all day. So I can pretty much guess the injectors are not opening. The fuel manifold has fuel press. in it. Is there anything I'm missing?

Well in the field i would monitor the cam and crank sensor signals to be sure. You have spark so crank sensor should be ok and you already replaced the cam sensor. It is possible you have a wiring problem somewhere so thats why I would want to verify the signals with a capable scanner. You can test the injector electrical signals going out to the injectors with a test light. You would have to unplug the electrical connector to one of the injectors and place each end of the test light on each pins in the electrical connector of the injector. During cranking the pcm should make the test light flash with each injector pulse. If the test light doesn't flash then you know it is either the PCM or the wiring going to the injectors. I can provide wiring diagrams if you feel it will help. Let me know if I can further assist.

Expert:  adamfeather replied 5 days ago.

I just wanted to follow up to ask if you're satisfied with your experience and whether I adequately answered your question? If not I will be glad to provide further information.

If you feel I adequately answered your question please click “accept” and rate my services if you wish. Positive feedback is what I strive for. Because I am a private expert for Just Answer I only get paid for accepted answered. Rest assured even after accepting I will always respond back ASAP to any further questions.

Thanks again and I hope I was helpful!