tracer6, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years Auto and Light truck foreign and domestic

Had the ignition switch replaced on 2001 Aztec a couple of

Customer Question

Had the ignition switch replaced on 2001 Aztec a couple of weeks ago. Noticed a very slight delay before car would start. Last time it started it barely turned over like a bad battery. Now I get a loud click but doesn't turn over. Replaced battery but still get a loud click and doesn't crank. Can turn engine by hand,cleaned connections,swapped start relay. where is the starter?
Submitted: 3 days ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  tracer6 replied 3 days ago.

Hello, I am Randall, The starter is on lower left side of the engine, Meaning since engine sits sideways, you look down between engine and radiator and it is bolted right near the trans, To access? its from under front, You would remove the under engine cover if it is there and you will see the stater. Yes, near 100% your symptoms point to a bad starter. You may want to tap hard on it with hammer etc the best you can while someone is holding the key to "CRANK" many times this will unstick the starter. If this works like it may? this means starter is bad and still should be changed. I have attached a file file showing how to change it. Please leave a rating for the service I provided today and thanks