sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

My rpm gauge roared up to 4.5-5 rpms, then my car wouldn't

Customer Question

My rpm gauge roared up to 4.5-5 rpms, then my car wouldn't move, I lost no fluid at all, before during or after. I'm confused, I don't even have reverse. What can I try before I would decide to get rid if my car.
JA: Just to clarify, which fluid are you talking about? And what color and consistency is it?
Customer: Transmission fluid
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: 2001,four door 6cyl SE
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes we are going to try, we haven't tried anything just yet, we want to remove the transmission cover and see if there may be metal shavings present.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think I covered it, thank you Pearl.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the car won't move it could be due to loss of transmission fluid which doesn't appear to be the case, it could be a broken CV joint, or an internal failure in the transmission.

Try pushing the car with the trans in park. If you're able to push it then the problem could be a broken CV joint, the axles should be inspected.

If the CV shafts are ok and the fluid is full but the car does not move then the failure is internal in the transmission.