rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975

2003 Pontiac Bonneville.. Dash lights are off until I press

Customer Question

2003 Pontiac Bonneville.. Dash lights are off until I press the brake pedal, the all the dash lights come on.
JA: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?
Customer: Not yet. That will be the first check. Josh on your website also said it might be the rear brake like bulbs or sockets. Trunk get water in, has seal leak. I'll be looking there as well. Dash bulbs all light up when I depress the brake pedal.
JA: Are you fixing your Bonneville yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I am working on it myself. No, I have not started the process. Just bought the car yesterday. Test drove it during the day, did not notice the dash light issue until last night. Also when I have the defrost fan on high and the rear defrost, the power windows take a huge amp draw causing the volt meter to drop and the headlight dim.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 days ago.

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 6 days ago.

This can also be the beginnings of a failing instrument cluster. We need to attach a scan tool to your car to get codes and data.

We also need to do bidirectional testing of the cluster as well. Keep me posted with results.

Thanks, Ron

Expert:  rpmdiag replied 5 days ago.

If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly appreciate a 5
star rating now and I will still assist you after you have rated me
too if another question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you
until you rate me.
Thanks again, Ron

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
What about the rear brake light bulbs? Cluster lights up fine when I apply the brakes. What is a scan tool gonna tell me?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 days ago.

The commands from the scan tool in bidirectional mode will tell you all the answers.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 4 days ago.
what if I told you the car previous had an aftermarket remote start. I don't have a scan tool.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 days ago.
Are there any other secrets you want to tell me?
I'm trying to help you here and all information you can provide is needed.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 4 days ago.
You still need to have the system scanned, there's no magic here. Guessing is not a good idea.
Customer: replied 4 days ago.
Sorry, no secrets. I spent several hours on Saturday trying to find the problem. I completely disconnected the rear light assemblies, problem still exists. I took the dash apart and found the plunger switch at the brake pedal, two wires white and orange, seems to be a contributor. I noted a sticker under the hood that said the car had a remote starter but I could not find the module, I think it was removed. I removed the dimmer/fog lamp switch module, problem remained. I think someone removed the remote start and that is where the problem is. I just bought the car and don't have any history on it.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 3 days ago.

Sounds like a nightmare. We only deal with stock equipment here, but maybe you can google the manufacturer of that alarm system so you can acquire a manual.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars and keep this link in case you need me again later on.