GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

I had 2005 Pontiac Montana SV6, I'm experiencing Hard

Customer Question

I had 2005 Pontiac Montana SV6, I'm experiencing Hard Starting in the morning (1st Start) and or anytime I will stop the engine for 8 hrs or even 4 hours (Half Day). I try to take the code with my OBDII it say P0171P (pending).
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  david craig replied 4 months ago.

Hi Im David thanks for using the site, allow me a moment to look up some info for you. thanks

P0171 PONTIAC - Fuel Trim System Lean Bank 1
Possible causes - Intake air leaks - Faulty front heated oxygen sensor - Ignition misfiring - Faulty fuel injectors - Exhaust gas leaks - Incorrect fuel pressure - Lack of fuel - Faulty Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor - Incorrect Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) hose connection

If the P0171 is combined with the P0174 code, it's very likely that the problem is caused by an intake leak. If there are no intake leaks, the next step is to replaced the air filter and clean the air flow meter. If the problem persist the front oxygen (O2) sensor may need to be replaced. The P0171 code could also be caused may be caused by one or more of the following: debris on MAF sensor causing an incorrect reading, improper oil level, low or high fuel pressure or Engine Control Temperature (ECT) Sensor reading inaccurate.

http://www.autocodes.com/uploads/gmc/03-06-04-030F.pdf

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I did check already if there is intake leak found none, replace filter with new, spray MAF with CRC MAF Cleaner except that I had not replaced yet the O2 sensor. but do you think this will cause the hard starting? once it start and put some few gas before running I dont have problem all the way. hard starting again will occur after few hours of parking with engine off.

no i dont think the o2 sensor will cause this.

i do believe that the tsb provided needs to be complied with by the dealer. its specifically for your vehicle and code that you are getting.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Then do you know of any possible causes of engine hard starting for Pontiac Montana.Thank you..

yes. i just explained that. and my opinion is leaky fuel injectors.

not hold accumulated pressure for immediate start up

you can try to clean the throttlebody plate, the egr and the iac to see if that helps.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
OK Thank you very much I will try that tomorrow

ok ...keep me posted.

any update?

do you still need assistance?

Expert:  kalamykid replied 4 months ago.

I believe That I can help you fix this problem. Would you like to work with me to find and fix this?