kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

I got a new key from my dealer but when i programmed it to

Customer Question

Hello i got a new key from my dealer but when i programmed it to my car now it starts for a few seconds then stops.help please
JA: Will the headlights turn on? Is the battery fully charged?
Customer: Yes and yes
JA: What is the model/year of your GM?
Customer: 2006 pontiac g6
JA: Are you fixing your G6 yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Tried to pull out the fuse to bypass the ignition And yes
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that i got the key cut at a chevy dealership but programmed it at home.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Did you do the 10 minute relearn after you programed the new key? How did you program the new key?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the ten minute relearn
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Did you use your original key first to program the new key, then do the relearn?

Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Please remember that I am not there and have to ask you what you have done and or not done. Please tell me exactly step by step what you have done to try to get your car started?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No we didnt use the original as it is broken into two pieces we used the new key. Put it in turned the car to on for 10min turned it off for 5 sec. We did this three times
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Can you send me a pic of the old key please?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Did u get the picture
Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

Yes I got the pic. What you will have to do is go to your local hardware store and have another key made. But not just any key. You will need a key that is all metal. Then you will need to tape the top black part of your old key to the new one. The use this taped key to turn the ignition switch to run. Do not try to start the engine. Leave the switch in run for the count of 10. then turn the ignition switch off, as fast as you can take the key out of the switch and then insert the key that you got from the dealer and turn the switch back to run, again do not try to start the engine. again count to 10, and then turn the ignition switch back off. The bcm should now recognize the new key. Then turn the switch back to run, then try to start the engine. If the engine does not start, do the 10 minute relearn again.

Expert:  kalamykid replied 1 month ago.

I was just checking in with you to see what you have done, and to see if you understand my last post.