Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Cylinder 1 misfire, 86,000, and its a pretty steady misfire.

Customer Question

cylinder 1 misfire
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it a steady misfire? Or random?
Customer: 86,000, and its a pretty steady misfire. it doesn't start missing until the car gets a little warmed up
JA: What is the model of your '86 Pontiac?
Customer: its a 2008
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: ive checked the spark plugs and they all look good. I was having a smaller spark coming off the igniton coil for plug 4 so I changed out the ignition coil and wire and its sparking good now
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no not really, is this all free?
JA: The Pontiac Mechanic's require payment for their services. It's way less expensive on JustAnswer than face-to-face would cost.
Customer: o no thank you then
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

I see you were asking if this is free. It is not. Do you want to continue?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hey moose how are you doing? Yes, I would like to continue. I signed up for it
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cant talk on the phone right now, I'm sorry
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can I explain everything to you and you give me the best advice please?

Yes, if you have more to add, please do so now.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
everything was good until I filled up with gas and then it started acting up. once I got home I started looking at the plugs and wires and everything looking good except for wire 4. the spark that was coming off the ignition coil was smaller so I replaced the ignition coil and the wire and still no good. But now I am hearing a ticking sound coming engine area when the car is on. Also it only starts to misfire once it gets a little warmed up, so roughly a min or so after its running. I don't know if this has anything to do with it or not but when I turn the car off it makes a ticking sound coming from underneath the car. I hope this helps!!

While running and misfiring. If you remove injector connectors one by one or plug wires one by one. Is there one cylinder when disabled that does not result in it running worse?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have not checked the fuel injectors but I have taken off each wire and when I take them off the motor sounds like its running worse for each one.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but I will say that the spark coming off the ignition for wire 4 is still not as strong as the other 5. The last time I checked it almost sounded like the motor wanted to die on me almost and the fuel smell was pretty rich.

Thanks, ***** ***** a subtle or intermittent misfire your getting.

What model car is this and what liter engine?

Do you have access to a sophisticated scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
its a 2008 Pontiac grand prix 3.8 with 86,000 miles on it. The scan tool I have is an innova 3100i

Will your tool perform a power balance test to see which cylinder is providing less than the others?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no it does not, I wish it did
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I might do a cylinder test this weekend and see if that's the problem

If you drive the vehicle and find that sweet spot where it runs its worst and keep it there. Will it eventually turn on the check engine light and store a code.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
yup that's exactly what happens. ill get going around 30 mph and then all of a sudden the CEL will start to flash then it will stay on.

The flash means a misfire is detected. What code number is *****?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
P0301 (1 of1) Generic Pending (Cylinder 1 misfire detected)

Thanks,

My recommendation is to move cylinder 1 plug and wire and injector to another cylinder and retest. If the concern remains at one then do a compression test on that complete head. If that is good then you need a scope to monitor the injector signal to see if its dropping out from a computer issue.

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris