Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 2004 grand prix gt. I get no heat in the car the

Customer Question

I have a 2004 grand prix gt. I get no heat in the car the hoses to theheater core feel normal. I hear the actuator clicking. Do I just need to replace the actuator? Thanks for your reply.
JA: Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working? What about the coolant level?
Customer: Yes I recently hade it and the radiator replaced.
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Prix yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: After I had the thermostat a.d radiator changed is when I realized thst heat was not getting into the car.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That should be all. Thanks
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

The clicking sound could be the blend door actuator, or I have also seen the blend door itself break and cause this noise to happen. Start with replacing the blend door actuator, the heater core could be plugged as well. You could try backflushing the heater core to free the blockage.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Complaint

The customer states the heater is inoperative.

Cause

Confirmed the customer's complaint and found the heater was inoperative. Operated the heating, ventilation and air conditioning controls and observed the temperature blend door did not respond. Performed an inspection of the temperature blend door actuator wiring harness and connectors and found there were no loose connections or signs of damage. With the key on, engine off, used a multi-meter to check for the presence of voltage at the temperature blend door actuator and found voltage was present. Used a set of fused jumper wires to apply voltage and ground to the temperature blend door actuator and found the actuator was inoperative. Removed the temperature blend door actuator and manually operated the temperature blend door. Observed the temperature blend door moved smoothly and did not bind. The results of these tests verified the temperature blend door actuator was faulty.

Correction

Replaced the temperature blend door actuator and verified the vehicle operated properly. The customer's concern did not return.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

blend door actuator

Air Temperature Actuator Replacement

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the right side instrument panel (I/P) insulator. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Right in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.
  2. Remove the I/P compartment. Refer to Compartment Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) in Instrument Panel, Gages and Console.
  3. Remove the screws retaining the air temperature actuator (2).

Fig 1: View Of Right Air Temperature Actuator & Mode Actuator

Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.View Full-Screen
  4. Disconnect the electrical connector from the air temperature actuator.
  5. Remove the air temperature actuator from the HVAC Module Assembly.

Installation Procedure

NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.

1. Position the air temperature actuator (2). Align the slots in the electric actuator driver to the flats on the shaft.

Fig 2: View Of Right Air Temperature Actuator & Mode Actuator

2. Align the locating hole to the alignment pin on the HVAC module case.
  3. Slide the actuator driver on the shaft. The actuator driver should sit completely on the shaft and the mounting holes should be flush with the HVAC module case.
  4. Install the screws to the air temperature actuator.

Tighten: Tighten the screw to 1.5 N.m (13 lb in).

5. Connect the electrical connector to the air temperature actuator.
  6. Install the I/P compartment. Refer to Compartment Replacement - Instrument Panel (I/P) in Instrument Panel, Gauges, and Console.
  7. Install the right side I/P insulator. Refer to Closeout/Insulator Panel Replacement - Right in Instrument Panel, Gauges, and Console.
  8. Calibrate the actuator. Refer to Re-Calibrating Actuators .
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dan, thanks a lot. My suspision is confirmed. Do I need to disconnect the battery when replacing the actuator?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Disconnect the negative post on the battery.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks again Dan I appreciate the expertise.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 months ago.

Your welcome, please RATE at the top of the screen and it would be appreciated, thanks.