Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Pontiac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Pontiac Diagnostics

07 Pontiac g5 service traction light came on dash with check

Customer Question

07 Pontiac g5 service traction light came on dash with check engine code p0171. Are these connected some how
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm Ron Z and I'll be helping you with your question today.

Does your vehicle have the 2.2L or 2.4L engine?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
2.2L engine
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Great, thanks! Give me a minute to load in your vehicle and get some information together.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Ok. When the Check Engine Light comes on, the Trac light is also set, turning this system off. This is just a precautionary measure in case the reason why the Check Engine Light is on can harm any others items in this system. So solve the reason the Check Engine Light is on and the Trac system light will also reset.

As for the reason the Check Engine Light is on- the P0171 is a very general code unfortunately. This code states the fuel/air mixture is too lean. This can be lack of fuel or too much air entering the system. There are a few different things that can cause this. This can be a clogged fuel filter (if equipped. some models do not have an external filter), a failing fuel pump, an intake air leak, a fuel injector that is not spraying quite enough fuel, etc... The best place to start, and most common here is by testing fuel pressure and checking for intake air leaks. Make sure the air filter housing is seated correctly and there are no rips or holes in the air filter housing duct. If nothing visual stands out, move onto the fuel pressure test and intake gasket air leak test. Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hi Tiff! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 30 days ago.