Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certified Automobile Technician. 30 Years Experience.

The passenger side airbag is under safety recall, but it's

Customer Question

The passenger side airbag is under safety recall, but it's taking months to get the parts. I'd like to disable the weight sensor so that it will not operate until the parts come in.
JA: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?
Customer: There is a weight sensor in the passenger seat that turns on the airbag. If it were disabled the airbag would not go off blowing metal fragments like shrapnel through the car.
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: '09 vibe gt
JA: Are you fixing your Vibe yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I just want to disable it until Toyota gets the parts to GM and they notify me that they can fix it. It's a recall.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Clayso replied 1 month ago.

Hi There,
This is Clay, I'm a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience.

Just so you know, any time the SRS/airbag light is on the system is disabled. General Motors will NOT put their drivers and passengers at risk of the airbag going off accidentally. This also means in the case of an accident the airbags will NOT deploy in the event of an accident anytime the SRS/airbag light is on.

(In case you work on the SRS system)

WARNING: To avoid serious or fatal injury on vehicles equipped with airbags, disable the supplemental restraint system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, occupant classification system, seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the supplemental restraint system. Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment.

I hope this information is helpful. If you have any questions let me know. You can reply back to me through this thread at any time.

Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you.
Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.