GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

I have a 2005 GT Grand Am the radiator fans will not come on

Customer Question

I have a 2005 GT Grand Am the radiator fans will not come on I'm trying to locate possibly a fan switch or is it a heat sensor the car has been sitting for several years car runs beautiful it's only got 41,000 miles on it but the fans will not come on to keep the engine cool what do I do
JA: Has the car been overheating? Have you checked the fuses?
Customer: I turned it off before it overheats but I see it climbing and gets up to about 192 and I turned it off fuses have been checked it seems like something is not telling the fans to come on thank you for your help
JA: Are you fixing your Grand Am yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't know what to try I'm somewhat mechanically inclined several people told me something about a fan switch is not working is that possible flushing it out maybe move the thermostat or what Can I try next beautiful car it's a shame help
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: When I first got the car running from sitting so long changing the fuel tank pump cleaning out the fuel tank put in the back and it started right up fan started working and then the next day nothing it starts it runs I'm scared and frightened to over eat it that's about it AC also doesn't work as good because they AC fan does not come on either on the unit on the radiator l
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 1 month ago.

Hi there, I am Cam.

To start with, can you tell me which engine you have in your car? 2.2 or 3.4?

there is testing but I need to know which engine in your car to get you the correct diagram and testing.