Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  34 years as a Tech
7276279

2004 pontiac grand am and my car won't start! it will crank

Customer Question

2004 pontiac grand am and my car won't start! it will crank and crank and crank but won't fire up- is this a fuel problem?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am here to assit you with your question and help you resolve your concern.

Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Have you scanned the computer system to see if there are any fault code setting?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no codes. not sure if this matters but even when i could turn the vehicle on i could take the key out with the engine running.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

Okay so is the engine starting and running when you remove the key?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
no I'm just saying that over the past few months i have been able to pull out the key when driving. also this problem has occurred before. randomly a few days after it first happened it fired right up- and i didn't have this issue till, well yesterday. so it was fine for a few months, but something clearly isn't right.
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

You should not be able to remove the key with in in the run position and I would suspect that is likely part of the problem. I would address this first. Your going to need to replace the ignition lock and key . If the system can not read your key it will keep the engine from starting.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok so what does this involve? do i need to cut a new key , how is it programmed? and what part do i need to install and how is this done? thanks
Expert:  Ron replied 3 months ago.

You are going to need to replace the ignition lock that come with new key and the programming will need to be done by the dealer .