Jerry, Master Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Master tech. 30+ years mechanic, shop forman, service manager

It starts up really well, but if you take your foot off the

Customer Question

It starts up really well, but if you take your foot off the gas it dies. Turns right back on. I held the gas pedal down to keep the RPM's up and after I did that for awhile it seemed to idle a little bit better. It's like the RPMs are too low for the speed I'm going. F
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: The mileage has not been affected at all. It fires up just fine. I've always had to let it warm up, when I start it the RPM's are a little higher and when it warms up it settles and stays at a little over 1000. Now when I start it and then let off the gas pedal, it dies. Did it while it was warm also
JA: What is the model/year of your Pontiac?
Customer: When I'm going 55 or 60 the RPM's are usually closing in on 3000 RPMs, now it's running at 2000 at the same speed. 1996 Pontiac Sunfire
JA: Are you fixing your Sunfire yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I don't fix anything so have tried nothing. Drove it home using the gas/brake pedal to apply brakes while not lettingRPMs get too low. Then I stopped do;ing that and it stayed going. Drove the rest of the way home fine. FYI, the only thing that has been done lately is I just had a transmission flush done.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

Let me start by saying that any money that you paid, or if you have a subscription, that money stays in your account until the answers are rated, (positive) regardless of how fast or how long it may take to get finished. You can FOLLOW UP AT ANYTIME, even after rating.

That could be an idle air control problem or just dirt in the air passages in the throttle body.

You will want to do a throttle body cleaning on it to make sure that all of the idle air passages are clear of any carbon build up.

You can pick up a can of “throttle body cleaner” just about anywhere auto parts are sold.

You can normally follow the directions on the can but I always spray some in the intake while the throttle plate is closed to be sure that it gets into all of the passages. You don’t want to use carb cleaner though, as it’s not safe for the 02 sensors.

Also, you want to be sure that there are no vacuum leaks and that the intake air hose is on good and free of any cracks.

Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.