gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified

I'm installing a 3rd brake on my 1976 Firebird using a unit

Customer Question

I'm installing a 3rd brake on my 1976 Firebird using a unit from a 2001 BMW. How is unit attached to the glass?
Frank Novisku
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 month ago.

I don't think any vehicles attach them directly to the glass, they are mounted to either a bracket in the headliner and the headliner is shaped to come down around it, or on the back window shelf and the shelf comes up over to hide it. Some brake lights have their own housing built in, but they are still either hung from the ceiling and just braced against the glass, or mounted on the rear shelf. That's why you always see 3rd brake lights with bugs in them, they can just crawl in since it is open at the back.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
This unit has a rubber housing that looks like it should be mounted directly to the glass.

can you post a picture of it, from a couple angles? You should be able to post it here by clicking on the "paperclip" icon

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Where is the paper clip icon?

Either a paper clip or a picture of a tree, just above your text input box that you type in. I'm used to seeing my layout instead of that of a customer.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Sorry there is no such thing. Let me ask you: have you seen a 3rd brake on a 2001 BMW and how it is mounted?

What model of BMW from 2001?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Model 335D.This not a Pontiac question, it's a BMW question.

That's OK, I'm not a Pontiac mechanic- I don't know how the question got moved into this area, probably because of the mention of the Firebird.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Are you familiar with 2001 BMW 335D?

If you take a look at this picture, you can see how it is mounted in a frame in the headliner- the rubber just butts up against the glass. Do you have the vehicle available, or just the brake light?

here is a picture of it being installed, there are clips that it mounts to. The circuit printing on the glass is for the radio and antenna and the heater grid, so they don't interfere with one another.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
As I mentioned I'm trying to fit this light in a 1976 Firebird but it looks like it won't work, too much work to install.
Thanks for your help, bye for now.

Sure, I hope you can find one that looks as smooth as that for fitment into such a low profile roof!