Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Owner of a mobile diagnostics company assisting auto technicians with difficult vehicles

Have a 2003 Pontiac Montana that AC and Cooling fan suddenly

Customer Question

Have a 2003 Pontiac Montana that AC and Cooling fan suddenly stop working few days ago.
JA: Have you checked the Freon level?
Customer: Was Blowing cold air just before I parked it
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just checked the electrical fused
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: n
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you out with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Have you checked ALL the fuses in the under hood fuse box?

Also low Freon could cause the ac to stop working due to low pressure. This will prevent the compressor from coming on.

This could be due to a small leak in the ac system.

You could also have a wiring problem in the wiring harness.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. If I am not giving you 5 star service, please let me know what I missed.

ASE Master Technician

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, As I said this was a sudden problem I turned on the AC I hear a little noise and the AC went off and appears the fax stop coming on also.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
This van has 29000 miles on it only... and the AC was blowing very cold in the morning parked and in the afternoon going home from work .. heard that little bruising noise when I switched the AC on and the AC and Cooling fan not coming on since then..
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would like a different expert
Expert:  Tool Hut replied 2 months ago.

Hi, My Name is ***** ***** for posting your question to just answer. I am a independent contractor for just answer, and ASE Certified Master Auto Technician with 20 years experience. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.There will probably be some equipment needed for a proper diagnosis. If you are not comfortable with this or do not have any test equipment please let me know ASAP. I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. I am not compensated for my time until you leave a positive rating. Your rating should be based on the service you received.

These vehicles are very common for condenser failure. It would cause it to suddenly quit working. If you want to try something stop at the parts store and get an ac self charging set with a gauge. Try hooking it up without releasing the freon into the system and see what the pressure is. engine and key off. It should be approximately the same pressure as the outside temperature.

Example 70 degrees F outside should equal approximately 70PSI with the system turned off. The parts store may assist. or stop at a repair shop and get an AC system inspection.

Expert:  Tool Hut replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I have not heard from you in a few days. Do you still need assistance? I also noticed you haven't left a rating. I have assisted in good faith and am only compensated when you leave a positive rating. Please let me know if there is anything else you need to leave a positive rating. Conversations can always continue after a rating is received.